Music for programming

MichalK73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello.

I really like listening to music while coding. I use Spotify the most. I can find most of them there and write lists for myself. However, I slowly became familiar with all of them and I am looking for a new inspiration, the more so as I am probably preparing for several months of programming. What am i listening to? Example: Carbon Based Lifeforms, 009 Sound System, Jarre, Madis (Polish electronic music) Marek Bilinski (same as Madis), Nigel Stanford, ERA, Mike Oldfiield, Tengerine Dream. But I also like to listen to rock, pop, club: Armin, Queen, Bon Jovi, Skillet, Brother Dege, Depeche Mode, Adele, Celion Dion, Axwell etc.
Usually, I prefer rhythmic one, which won't put me to sleep completely but also won't upset me like Metal or HardRock music.
What artists, albums, types for listening to music while programming?

Last edited:

JGiunta

Mike Oldfiield
Standing... On the edge...

Aside from that, i usually listen to more pumping music, like Kanye West ("Power" is an amazing song, but if you lke hip hop I suggest listening to his whole discography), F-777, Daft Punk, Gorillaz, AC/DC and some Touhou songs like "Night of Nights" or "U.N. Owen was her?"

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I really like listening to music while coding.
Same here, always. I listen to lots and lots of music, almost always electronic with minimal lyrics. (Because I'm stupid like that, if I hear lyrics I start thinking the lyrics instead of thinking the code... :) )

Here's some albums that I tend to return to when I focus on deep thought:

Minilogue / Animals

Minilogue / Island of If

The Field / Infinite Moment

Some uptempo is also nice sometimes:

Girl Talk / Feed the Animals <- really good if you're into mashups

And if I don't feel like picking and instead go with some Internet radio:

SomaFM / Groove Salad

alwaysbusy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When coding on some engine, I like the "Synthesizer Greatest - Volumes 1 - 6" from Ed Starink (I'm missing Volume 7). It brings me in the zone ;)

When coding on client apps, I like more a mix of Metallica, Queen, Blink 182, Nirvana, Green Day, The Offspring, Limp Bizkit, ... to get pumped up

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When coding on some engine, I like the "Synthesizer Greatest - Volumes 1 - 6" from Ed Starink (I'm missing Volume 7). It brings me in the zone ;)

When coding on client apps, I like more a mix of Metallica, Queen, Blink 182, Nirvana, Green Day, The Offspring, Limp Bizkit, ... to get pumped up
Yeah, because it's two different mental accounts, right? :) One account for deep thought and another for let's finish this!

hatzisn

Licensed User
Longtime User
I like hearing some Vangelis music (it is the composer that has created the music theme of the movie 1492) f.e. something like:

An other option is the coderadio of freeCodeCamp, I have posted in another post:

Last edited:

stevel05

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't listen to music in the background. If it's good music, and I wouldn't listen to any that wasn't, I can't help dissecting the melodic and harmonic structures which stops me from concentrating on anything else.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User

labcold

Licensed User
Longtime User
I only like instrumental while programming as I find the words interfere with my flow - I use DI FM and just stream whatever channel mood im in - techno, chill, lounge, psy

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Try something different...
Considering this was one of the biggest hits of the '90s I'm not entirely sure it could be classified as "different" :)

Here's my take on "something different":

Prefuse 73 / Vocal Studies + Uprock Narratives

Two Fingers / Instrumentals