Activites, Fragments, Panels

kanaida

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hey guys, so far i've been doing fairly simple apps. Usually a single screen or two where the main stuff happens, then settings, or a few panels that slide with your thumb. I'm considering undertaking a much bigger type of application that will be used for business type stuff, order entry, syncing with a remote db, defining new items, editing existing ones, displaying collections of items, even some barcode scanning and stuff like that. My question is for those who have made pretty complex apps. Do you usually make a bunch of different activities and isolate each specific task, or take some other approach like dynamically creating panels with programmatically generated views inside. What seemed to be the most sane way of working with so much business content. On a desktop this would be a non issue because screens are pretty massive and I don't really have to worry about activity life cycles. Just wondering if anyone's done something similar and what their results were like.

kanaida

Licensed User
Longtime User
So far what i've done is built a template class for 'Database'. This takes care of connections, initialization etc...

and 'Manufacturer' It's a business object type class so i got built in .save() .load() .CreateTable() etc...

I was thinking simply making an activity called EditManufacturer having a single property at the top called ManufacturerID. Then on Activity_Create just populate the activity with all the views and values etc... then handling all the changed values by setting the properties of a Manufacturer class and calling .Save()

After I see that one is working perfectly, I will build a code generator using LINQ in VS2010 to make the rest of the 50 or so classes :) Leaving only the layout part to me (for now)

I'd really like to just be able to create .bal files directly, but so far I haven't found a way so for now i won't have designer support.

Upvote 0