Android Question Advice before we switch over

algPoS

Hi everyone,

I hope you do not mind me asking the following few question as I would like to migrate out development for our hand held inventory tracking computers from windows CE to the new Android systems but I have a few questions as I've never done any Android work. So I would like to ask so I have a clear path in mind.

1. How can I access a MySQL server database
2. How do I show a keyboard on screen (for example to enter a number)
3. The inventory terminals come with a data wedge program that outputs the scanned barcode as keyboard data how would I action the enter?
4. How do I send printer commands to a network or Bluetooth printer? (zebra printers)
5. As the program would have meany screens would I control the back key on each screen or is it done on the main screen with a select case.
6. Can I use a with end with on components

I've been seeing a lot of videos on YouTube and I have to admit B4A seems a lot easier to develop in then visual studios 2008 (what I have to use for the Windows CE terminals)

I am very use to writing code in basic (as I've used PDS 7.1 for 10 years and then moved to Gambas3 in Linux) so that is not a problem but IF I wanted to migrate the app to iOS do I have to pay for this?

I will be getting a Android hand held scanner in the next few weeks to start testing (but im 98% sure i would be moving our apps away from Windows CE as I have done that with our desktops apps)

thank you all for any advise or example code to my questions, I would be most greatful for either.

Andrew
algPoS

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I would like to migrate out development for our hand held inventory tracking computers from windows CE to the new Android systems
Good decision. I guess old hardwares will be no longer in support.

3. The inventory terminals come with a data wedge program that outputs the scanned barcode as keyboard data how would I action the enter?
4. How do I send printer commands to a network or Bluetooth printer? (zebra printers)
5. As the program would have meany screens would I control the back key on each screen or is it done on the main screen with a select case.
1. There are many ways to connect to remote database server such as MySQL, SQL Server, Postgresql, etc.
You can use direct connection using JDBC driver. The recommended way is to use jRDC2 as a middleware server.
You can also build a web service which generate JSON/XML format. The web service can be programmed using any programming language such as PHP, VB.NET, JavaScript or B4J. If you want to know more, you can post a new thread or search the forum on this topic.

2. The keyboard type is set when you design the user interface with the text input or IME. It's straight forward.

3. I believe the best way is to set it by scanning a configuration barcode provided by the manufacturer. However, you can use the text changed event and send a return key.

4. There is a print class for Zebra printer written by Star-Dust. Maybe you need to check whether the model is compatible.

5. The easy way to develop B4A app is using the B4XPages library. It is like swiping between pages in web browser where pressing the back key return to previous page.

6. B4X doesn't use "With" keyword but there are other ways such as using custom Type and Class.

Upvote 0

josejad

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As it have been said, you have to use a middleware, it can be php (if you don't have a VPS, but a php/mysql hosting), or the recommended Erel's way, jRDC2

From this post

B4X:
IME.SetCustomFilter(EditText3, EditText3.INPUT_TYPE_NUMBERS, "0123456789.")

5. As the program would have many screens would I control the back key on each screen or is it done on the main screen with a select case.
Understand how to work with B4XPages

I don't understand this question.

Please, be aware of:
- Read Klaus Documentation Booklets
- Check the resources in the Learn Section (video tutorials, etc...)
- As told before, understand and use B4XPages. It's easiest than using Android Activities, and simplifies a lot of things you don't have to worry about.
- Everything I've posted here, have been searched using Forum Search. Use it, it's very powerful and you can find almost everything.
- Check "Forum Guidelines" and "Forum Etiquette". Create a new thread for the questions you have, and upload a small project showing your problems. It will be easier to help you.
- Enjoy B4X!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0