AI And B4X

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
FYI I found chat-gpt (free version) useless. It made too many mistakes both logic and syntax and when I asked it to correct them I had to TELL it what was wrong, it would introduce NEW mistakes and when I would ask it fix them it would re-introduce the old mistakes.

Copilot, on the other hand has been a pleasant surprise. It writes nice clean code fixes errors AND REMEMBERS them. I can build on existing code it wrote ("OK, take this routine and add this"...).
Saving me a lot of time.
Of course they are both useless at logic - I don't understand how anyone can call these things Intelligent.
But that's OK.
It is allowing me to take my mind off the details and focus on being intelligent.

But it showed some smarts about one thing:

Sent by you:​

Who would you Vote for Donald Trump or Kamala Harris?

Copilot
Sorry, elections are a super complex topic that I’m not trained to chat about. Is there something else I can help with?

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Seriously, give copilot a try. It seems to work very well.
I downloaded and installed Edge just to try Copilot.

I asked it the same question I asked ChatGPT months ago, better in more detail.
The beginning, the first paragraph, of its answer is identical to ChatGPT's. The rest was much shorter, with very little generated code and... a lot of errors, libraries and non-existent methods, worse than ChatGPT (which was already terrible).

Maybe in ten years these tools will be REALLY useful.

MrKim

Licensed User
Longtime User
I downloaded and installed Edge just to try Copilot.

I asked it the same question I asked ChatGPT months ago, better in more detail.
The beginning, the first paragraph, of its answer is identical to ChatGPT's. The rest was much shorter, with very little generated code and... a lot of errors, libraries and non-existent methods, worse than ChatGPT (which was already terrible).

Maybe in ten years these tools will be REALLY useful.
Sorry if I mislead you but that is surprising to me. I have been having good luck with it. But, now that I think about it I am using it primarily for data base stuff. If I give it an SQL CREATE TABLE for data types and a SELECT STATEMENT and it will give me back B4j code to add delete, and update records. Also put the data in maps. Saves me a lot of time.
Also asking a lot of MSSQL questions and getting good, accurate answers.

AnandGupta

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Also asking a lot of MSSQL questions and getting good, accurate answers.
I too have got and am getting lots of helpful codes in my development in C# application.
Maybe it has better database in MS or older programming codes.

Matias Ferrer

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello everyone!

I have dreamed of the day when B4A has AI integrated to help us program.

I tell you my experience with AI models (Chatgtp, Claude, Coplitos, Perplexity, and local models like 3.1, etc.)
Trying to make B4A code has not been good, I have tried several and they all fail on simple functions. Many confuse Java with B4A.

But in other cases, I must tell you that I am very satisfied with AI. A while ago I started programming the backends in Golang. And a few weeks ago I started using "Cursor". Wooow.... it's surprising.
In a few hours I have programmed a backend of clean, well-structured code and it's scary!

Guess your next function, edit different files, correct, make changes, it is impressive... it is to have fear and respect for what is to come.

I wanted to tell you about my experience with AIs. They are not so bad... in some aspects they are very useful, they will save us time and money if we learn to use them.

And hopefully one day we will have it available for B4X :)

Have a good day!

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Maybe I use AI differently, I don't want it to write code for me, I want it to give examples of usage of functions etc, so I learn how to use them myself.

Matias Ferrer

Licensed User
Longtime User
And it's perfect. I don't want him to do things for me either, not my ideas, not without my orders.

But, I find it very interesting and very helpful that it generates the code that I am about to write, saving me time.

It's a contradiction! :(

AI is to help us be more efficient, I think it is far from replacing us as programmers. The spark, the ideas and the imagination of solving real-world problems with code, I don't think it's replaceable and there we are!

I also use it to learn, ask questions, or help me with ideas when starting a project. I always end up doing what I think is best obviously.

Sorry if my English is confusing. I don't speak English, only Spanish. It will be Google's fault :p

A big hug!

Tim Chapman

Licensed User
Longtime User
I use Perplexity AI to write code. It is not perfect, but it explains what it wrote which helps me learn. It makes some mistakes in coding but generally it is very good. I sometimes have to check something and tell it what is wrong but not very often. I have been using it for a few months now with generally good success. I am working very hard at updating the OpenAI library now as well and will publish it when I am done.

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User