Annoying day

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So this is my Chit Chat rant for the day.

Okay, today I'm really annoyed. I'm sure that people are trying to annoy me on purpose. So I'm going to go out for a 14 mile bike ride to try and average 12 mph(hmm, huge tyres on mountain bike). Then I'm going to continue coding an e-commerce website that links directly to an Android app that I developed.

This evening I'll either drive to a friends house miles away, or go to the local pub for a pint with another friend.

Either way I'm having a seriously bad day and I just can't wait for it to end.

I'm might pull some apps from the play store as I'm fed up with them too. What sort of search algorithm brings back search results where if you type in the exact name of an app(one of only two) on the play sure it appears 127 on the list. Also another app(one of only four) appears 74, that by typing in the exact names, really annoying. That's not just my apps, I've seen it with other peoples all too. Only 6 months ago you could search for an exact name and bang it would show up. This new play store algorithm is clearly rubbish, but there's nothing that can me done about that.

I'm really cheesed off with everybody and everything today, plus I've stopped watching the news as it's nothing but bad news.

If the moderator want to delete this post he can do, I could always talk about the hot weather that we are actually having over here in the UK for a change :cool:

Last edited:

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Chin up Peter. Tomorrow will be a new day. I too enjoy a nice bike ride too and I understand what you mean with big tires. Got 2.4 racing Ralph on mine and it makes roads hard work. Lol. As for UK weather, loving it! In Newquay for 2 weeks so hope it it keeps up. He he.

Informatix

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So this is my Chit Chat rant for the day.

Okay, today I'm really annoyed. I'm sure that people are trying to annoy me on purpose. So I'm going to go out for a 14 mile bike ride to try and average 12 mph(hmm, huge tyres on mountain bike). Then I'm going to continue coding an e-commerce website that links directly to an Android app that I developed.

This evening I'll either drive to a friends house miles away, or go to the local pub for a pint with another friend.

Either way I'm having a seriously bad day and I just can't wait for it to end.

I'm might pull some apps from the play store as I'm fed up with them too. What sort of search algorithm brings back search results where if you type in the exact name of an app(one of only two) on the play sure it appears 127 on the list. Also another app(one of only four) appears 74, that by typing in the exact names, really annoying. That's not just my apps, I've seen it with other peoples all too. Only 6 months ago you could search for an exact name and bang it would show up. This new play store algorithm is clearly rubbish, but there's nothing that can me done about that.

I'm really cheesed off with everybody and everything today, plus I've stopped watching the news as it's nothing but bad news.

If the moderator want to delete this post he can do, I could always talk about the hot weather that we are actually having over here in the UK for a change :cool:
I can do nothing for your day and I sincerely hope it will not become worse, but I may try to explain why you get these strange search results on Google Play. I have no proof as I don't work for Google and they didn't publish their algorithm but it seems to me they take into consideration the rating of your app, its age, the number of daily downloads, the number of uninstalls, how profitable it is for them, etc. And note that if you omit quotes, each typed word is a keyword to search.
I suppose that they want to ease the retrieval of popular apps. In my case, if I type "My playground", I get "Pango Playground" before my own app. The main difference between them: Pango has 172 ratings and 400 +1, which is a lot more than my 15 ratings and 20 +1. It is more popular indeed, and there are chances that people expect to find it before my own app with the "playground" keyword ("my" is probably ignored). If I enclose the name between quotes, this time I get "My Playground" first and no Pango at all (but "Parkour" in 3rd position ???).

Last edited:

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can do nothing for your day and I sincerely hope it will not become worse, but I may try to explain why you get these strange search results on Google Play. I have no proof as I don't work for Google and they didn't publish their algorithm but it seems to me they take into consideration the rating of your app, its age, the number of daily downloads, the number of uninstalls, how profitable it is for them, etc. And note that if you omit quotes, each typed word is a keyword to search.
I suppose that they want to ease the retrieval of popular apps. In my case, if I type "My playground", I get "Pango Playground" before my own app. The only difference between them: Pango has 172 ratings and 400 +1, which is a lot more than my 15 ratings and 20 +1. It is more popular indeed, and there are chances that people expect to find it before my own app with the "playground" keyword ("my" is probably ignored). If I enclose the name between quotes, this time I get "My Playground" first and no Pango at all (but "Parkour" in 3rd position ???).
sounds very plausible. Very google

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, generic words in search results dont bode well.
For e.g. my app Cloudpipes is such a unique name (that nobody knows about it!), that it is always the first result searching for it.
However, I did manage to do some SEO (on the keyword 'dropbox') and get my app from the 10th page to the 10th position, managed to gain some traction and ratings.
The first 3 lines of your description are very important.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks you for your kind words, I've just got back from losing at snooker. I usually beat Mike but this evening he was on fire, or I was just rubbish :mad:

Racing Ralph tubeless tyres @barx , nice tyres indeed. Hey I hope that you have a tubeless puncture repair kit. I have a set on Kenda tyres, they are great for long off road or canal runs(Birmingham and Solihull are full of canals), but on the road forget it it's too much like hard work.:(

@Informatix I've noticed the exact same thing with the quotes marks. I just find it annoying that with apps like yours and even mine that should be really easy to find, by typing in the exact app name they are not top. In March I did the same test and typing in exact names always showed my apps and competitors apps first, for example "TIX Clock" which I've posted about on social media but nobody can find unless I include the URL. There are only 2 TIX Clock widgets in total on the play store, but you try to find them without quote marks. I've not noticed this with the Apple app store. I was asked by a friend of mine if I could create a HEX Clock live wallpaper colour changer, so I did. The main reason was because we couldn't find one on the play store, but we didn't look hard enough. Including mine there are 3 on the play store now, you try finding them.

Cheers Mr @NJDude :cool:

Thanks @thedesolatesoul I'll look carefully at the first 3 lines(paragraph) of my main 2 apps and I'll let you know my findings. I've previously tried cloudpipes for dropbox and I personally like it ;)