B4a Bridge crash (Huawei 8150)

SteveBee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Brand new phone... downloaded B4a Bridge from the market, and installed.

Ran it, then I get this warning:
"Storage card not available.
Make sure that your device is not connected as a USB storage."

I checked - that USB debugging setting (?) is still at the default/off position.

I can continue past the warning..... I see the B4a Bridge screen, showing valid IP.
I press Start, and status is Disconnected/"Waiting for connections"

In the IDE I access Tools->B4a Bridge->Connect
I confirm the IP (same as being reported on the phone screen), but when I press Ok I get:
"Sorry
The application B4a-Bridge (process anywheresoftware.b4a.b4abridge) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again."

There are the 2 Force Close/Report buttons.

This is repeatable... I have rebooted the phone and re-started the IDE.
I have uninstalled B4a Bridge and re-installed... same thing

Next step?

Steve

SteveBee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Install a logger, like Catlog, from the Market and look for a stack trace from the B4ABridge crash. That might give some useful information.

Installed CatLog Free... wow..I have is a scrolling log stream. <g>

Filtered for B4a, and found this at the head of an exception group
java.io.FileNotFoundException:/mnt/sdcard/temp.sdk (permission denied)
[etc]

Which tells me.. what?
I wasn't trying to download anything at the time - just connect!

Need some informed insight re. B4a-Bridge

Upvote 0

SteveBee

Licensed User
Longtime User
Used the standard "Report" button function when it crashed (intended to prepare data for 'google')..... but I took a picture of it (Attached.)

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 201
Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It's the failure to access the SD card that is causing the problem. You don't also have it plugged in to the PC do you? "USB debugging" is not the same as "connected as USB storage". Usually on phones prior to Android 3.0 if the phone is connected to the PC and USB debugging is off the SD card is automatically unmounted on the phone and is not accessible. If USB debugging is on and the device plugged in you usually get a dialog option to mount or unmount the SD card.

When B4ABridge connects the IDE asks what version of the Designer is on the phone and if it is not there or out of date has B4ABridge load the correct version to the SD card and install it. That's why you are having a problem.

Upvote 0

SteveBee

Licensed User
Longtime User
No, its not plugged in to the PC
And no, USB debugging is not turned on.

I have another, possibly related issue (despite this being a brand new phone, which arrived today!). I cannot access the phone from my PC with the USB - I do *not*get any notifications when it is plugged in.

So... "It's the failure to access the SD card that is causing the problem. "

Ok, I don't have anything turned on that I shouldn't have... and I don't get any dialog that I'm willfully disobeying....

So what to do now? Is this a defective phone?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It does have an SD card installed? When you plug a device with Android versions earlier than 3.0 into the PC with USB debugging off it should look like a memory stick to the PC and be mounted by Windows automatically - or you might be given the choice. Only one of the device and the PC can see the SD card while plugged in.

Android 3.0 or later devices look like a media device and both the device and the PC can see the SD card at once.

Try downloading ES File Explorer from the Market and see if it can see the SD card.

Upvote 0

SteveBee

Licensed User
Longtime User
BTW there is no (external) SD card in this thing, just the internal memory.
(See attached pic.)
That is an acceptable minimum spec., is it not?

Attachments

• photo3.jpg
    photo3.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 174
Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That capability has nothing to do with the presence or absence of an SD card as applications and their private data are stored in internal memory. Whether an application requires the presence or not of external storage is a characteristic of the application. For example the Co-Pilot SatNav application does as it needs to store its maps and B4ABridge also does as it needs it to download application packages to and install them from.

Upvote 0

SteveBee

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4ABridge also does as it needs it to download application packages to and install them from.

Off to the shops, then.... Tx for the heads up - I'm very new to Android- world.

Selling a phone with no memory... Hmm - My lovely iPhone came fully-loaded <g>

Upvote 0

Merlot2309

Licensed User
Longtime User
Andrew,

I saw that he had no ext.memory, but I was not sure if checked/unchecked could make a difference for the Huawei.

Greets,
Helen.

Upvote 0