Bad Experience with fastspring.com

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

Posting here this, as many people here may be looking for a payment processor. Been using fastspring.com for nearly 5 years and 3 days ago I recieved an email saying that I have 60 days before my account is closed. It is not a result of viaolation or anything. They say, the business we are in is not supported by their payment processors anymore and they have to obey them. It is easy to send an email like this but if you consider we have worked hard to accumulate subscribers over years, this is a unfair decision they made. At the end of 4th year we have around 70 subscribers paying monthly. And now, we have to find a new processor, try to reach every subscriber by email to move subsribe with their credit card again with the new processor etc.. We will probably have to close the company as we have leased new servers trusting to income from these subscribers and in 60 days they will be gone thanks to fastpsting.

At the end we will probably lose %90 of the subscribers as this looks too amateur and mainly subscribers will not return.

I am writing here this as some of you may be looking to work with a payment processor. They can send you an email like this some day and all your efforts may go to trash. If you are happy to pay around %9 fee to fastspring for subscriptions etc you may go with patreon.com which has the same fee and better ethics than fastspring.com

Best,
Tufan

Hamied Abou Hulaikah

Licensed User
Longtime User
Catastrophic!
You are right 100%
Sending email like this is easy, but what is behind that is several years hard working will be lost!

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Too bad...

I understand you - you have total right... those "BANKs"... because in reality behind of them (when they get bigger and bigger) are banks or funds !

It is the same for everything... if you have a small business and not the "top".. it is a matter of "time"... when will have the power, will support bigger companies, different business plans... and voila... the death of merchant...

Is patreon a solution... ? or after some years or months you will have the same..

FrostCodes

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, while this is unfair, contact FastSpring that you would love to migrate your subscriptions. For example, Paddle can help you migrate them to their own payment processor if you are among the allowed services they allow. This means if they agree to help you migrate, your users still get billed but for example, Paddle handles the billing process for you.

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't know this. This is a good option if we can find a processor to accept our business and they acan both agree to sync payments etc.. It looks like a long shot but I will look into this. Thanks Mate

FrostCodes

Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't know this. This is a good option if we can find a processor to accept our business and they acan both agree to sync payments etc.. It looks like a long shot but I will look into this. Thanks Mate
Happy to help, try to contact them as fast as possible so your user subscriptions don't get canceled by FastSpring. Also, contact FastSpring to either retain the subscriptions or pause them rather than cancel them when the account gets closed. I don't know about your business type but at least I know paddle has good subscription migration support, maybe some other providers also do, just check around as fast as possible.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
We will probably have to close the company
i really hope this will not happen.
you are very dedicated to your work and i am sure your costumers will understand it. try to bring the news coverd in a gift box...

like, tell your costumers that your company has grown and thats why you need to switch to new servers that work with a different "payment company" and because they are VIP costumers they will get a nice gift bla bla... and at the end tell them that the subscription will be changed to a different peckage that includes much more but cost the same and they need to switch for that to patreon... but also make clear that they dont need to be worry there will not be double charge.

there is no reason for them not to agree if they need your service and are happy with it. it happens to us all many many times that companies change policies or ask to put credit card again because of a change in their company.

i don't think you need to be worry just think carefully the strategy how to bring those news to your costumers. at the end nothing really changes only the payment processor. you stay the same, service stay the same, costumer stay the same.

good luck

tufanv

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Dear Ilan,

Thank you for your kind words. I am thinking of something similar, I will also consider your ideas and thanks for that !
The problem is, you know, sometimes people subscribe and leave it as is, but if they have to renew manually they don't do that. Of course some people will come back but I will be happy if I can only get half of them

Tufan

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…