Bugs in Paint after Windows update

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Just updated to your version, and it still works. Maybe there it has conflict with some driver or app on your system. Or the update is corrupt

View attachment 145941

View attachment 145942
I think that update corrupted...

1) So you need to uninstall the latest update you said...

2) restart

3) Stop Windows Update from services.msc

4) Delete windows update cache files from command line (run like admin)
rd /S /Q C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution
rd /S /Q C:\$WINDOWS.~BT
add delete C:\Windows\Temp\*.* from command line and also c:\users\yourusername\appdata\local\temp\*.*
Then create folder SoftwareDistribution into Windows if deleted....

Here I am gonna tell you that If you are not having Windows Knowledge... to have caution and may be not try anything of all that...

5) restart

6) Start or check if windows update running from services.msc

7) I was thinking if it is better to update... or better to donwload the specific KB update windows update catalog... i think downloading the right KB and running it - will see if any error.. and will not be silent...

GOOD LUCK !

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all.
Imagine telling the non IT savvy users to follow all these steps just to get a Paint program to work since Windows 1.0 but not in latest version of Windows 11.
Windows 11 is a big flaw.
I feel Linux is more user friendly.

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all.
Imagine telling the non IT savvy users to follow all these steps just to get a Paint program to work since Windows 1.0 but not in latest version of Windows 11.
Windows 11 is a big flaw.
I feel Linux is more user friendly.
Well ...as IT technician.. I can tell that those little "things" are the real money for us... and as you can understand that's why not making money when selling new PCs and parts and software (the % for sellers are very low)... but only when selling services

Those are not solutions for users... but for technicians... ofcourse as programmer too... I can tell that if creating small solutions / apps that will automatically do those steps and selling them each for 5$... I will also be rich...

From the side of OS... it think that no OS automatically delete temp/update/cache... and if asking me ... yes will be helpful a bottom-right button or left that will do the dirty job

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
ps: The real reason for this problem... may be a network failure / no internet the moment of downloading... may be the electrical current... may be opened the same time was updating... may may be...

And yes... may be a bug the time you ve downloaded it... and then fixed by Microsoft - in some mins... and reuploaded as the same version... so if it is in cache of updates... will download again and again the same...

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
It is only paid if you download it from the MIcrosoft Store. If you look at the second download link on the page that @Filippo linked then it is free. If you pay you get automatic updates from the store, if you use the free one then Paint.Net prompts you to download when an update is available.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Could it be a corrupted font/font that MS Paint can't handle? Have you tried restoring the default font settings? (control panel->fonts->font settings->(button)restore default font settings->reboot)

I go to Personalization -> Fonts and I saw the first item where the font has no name but with 17 font faces.
I uninstall it and finally it fixed the issue.

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…