Can Install To External Storage

D

Deleted member 103

Hello,

can someone tell me why I can use this setting("Can Install To External Storage") for the emulator(Android 2.2) and not for my device(HTC-Desire Android 2.2)?

Error message:
Installing file to device. Error
pkg: /data/local/tmp/TotoLotto.apk
Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_CONTAINER_ERROR]
Unchecking "Project - Can Install To External Storage" may solve this problem.

Thanks in advance,
Filippo

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well investigated, Filippo,
Actually I encountered this problem today and searched the forum for hints, et voila, you already delivered a solution. Often, you don't need to google around :icon_clap:

In fact, if that file is present, you can't update market applications currently residing in the microSD. Removal of that file also resolves the update problem.

Typical case for the Japanese proverb: "isseki nichou" = "hit two birds with one stone". Sometimes it goes vice-versa: "nisseki ichou"

Alles Gute
Robert

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't get an error compiling with "Can install to external Storage" checked, but then when I install the APK, I don't get an option to install to the SD card (on a Toshiba Thrive running 3.1). Am I overlooking something, or is it just my tablet?

Also, when I click on the folder .android_secure, the file manager tells me that the folder is not there, even though I can see it and clicked on it!?

Upvote 0

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't get an option either.

When "Can install to external Storage" is checked the app will be installed to the SD card, else to the device. You can move the app location in Settings/Applications/Manage Applications to and from the external storage.

Note that when "Can install to external Storage" is unchecked, the app can't be moved to SD card in Settings/Applications/Manage Applications.

Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
When "Can install to external Storage" is checked the app will be installed to the SD card, else to the device. You can move the app location in Settings/Applications/Manage Applications to and from the external storage.

What device are you using? I had checked Manage Applications on my Toshiba Thrive before posting my message, and I just double-checked it; I can't find an option to move the app. I click on my app's icon and the options I get are Force stop, Uninstall, Clear data.

So it appears that the Thrive doesn't support moving apps to external storage.

Also, your first statement sounds like the app would be installed first the SD card as a default and only installed to the device if no SD card were present. That isn't happening on the Thrive either.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sharp IS03, Android 2.2.1
Move to SD should be possible with o/s 2.2 and higher.

Attachments

• device.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 272
Upvote 0

alfcen

Licensed User
Longtime User
It's not you missing something, it's your tablet :BangHead:
Sorry, but I don't own a tablet, in that I must leave the round table.
Perhaps your system 3.1? provides further options in the Application
Settings that may bring up a Move button. If that fails send a stern
mail to the manufacturer :sign0080:

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…