Creating an app that checks data throughput?

afagcaoili

Licensed User
Longtime User
What is the best approach in creating an app that checks data throughput?

I need an app that checks data throughput on a continuous basis and gets the lat,long information every throughput test.

I have been trying auto FTP but I cannot seem to get it to work.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

afagcaoili

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm sorry but I do not understand what you mean with "data throughput".

I meant like network data throughput test. Just like the speedtest.net app. Unfortunately, I needed a continuous test. The speedtest.net app needs user click every test and that is not feasible for our needs. I need to test the network data speed (how fast the network connection to the internet) several times and logs result with the phone's corresponding GPS. I think I get the GPS fine but I am trying to use FTP and capture time before the download and time after the download and divide with the file size but the output is not close to the actual network speeds based on a controlled test site.

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0

afagcaoili

Licensed User
Longtime User
Throughput testing

The throughput will also depends on the server. The server bandwidth might limit you.

Yes and that is what I want to check and capture. The actual throughput either due to the bandwidth or even server. It does not matter, all I want to capture is what is the current throughput or data speed that the phone is getting/using at a certain instant.

Can I get that data from a stream information?

Upvote 0