Detecting Emergency Phone Mode

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello!

First off, thank you to anybody that can help! :)

This is really a diag app. I have a new Samsung S3 from MetroPCS. Almost to the second, i will get the 'emergency phone mode' note. This will last about 1-2 seconds, then all is well, back to normal phone operations.

Now, T-Mobile and MetroPCS are merging, so i am not sure if it is the phone or the merger. And the REAL tech support people (NOT the 1-800 people) are not sure either.

MetroPCS suggested i remove the app that i had purchased to log such events (No Signal Alert Pro). By doing this, it means i have to stare at my phone non-stop as at times, the hour/minute will change from puking at 9:15, 10:15, 11:15 to 1:37, 2:37, 3:37, etc randomly.

I installed another app, No Signal Alert, and it went off too.

Though i do not have access to the source of either, and basing my opinion of many years of BASIC/VB programming, i strongly suspect these apps are just reading some 'variable' that is set by the OS. Why re-invent the wheel?

So i was wanting to write a REAL simple app that just logged the time when the phone went into emergency mode. However, i have searched and searched and found nothing on this at all.

Personally, i suspect it is either the phone 'checking in' or T-Mobile/MetroPCS is 'checking in'. Either way, i need a SIMPLE app so if needed, i can give it to the people at MetroPCS so they can see that it is NOT a SW issue as well as helping them resolve this not only for me, but for others too...

I have ALogCat running, but i have NO CLUE how to config it to detect this and if it even would anyway! ;)

Any help for a dumb programmer?

Your kindness is greatly appreciated! :)

Thanks!

:)

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks...that is not what is going on...I have done ALL things...as I said, it lasts for about 1 to 2 seconds...

Upvote 0

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes..factory reset...reflashed roms etc..do not mean to be short...typing on tele.....u r a good guy...helped me before...
I am curious why would you think if it was the battery part that it would happen every hour for 2 seconds?

Upvote 0

NJDude

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
That's very strange, I haven't heard of anything like this before, I know that when the phone goes into Emergency Mode, stays in EM until it's reset, and you certainly have done all that.

My only guess, is that the phone is "searching" for emergency messages (and this is a wild guess) which would be unusual, it seems you really need to get your carrier involved in this.

Upvote 0

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
that is what I am trying to do the phone company is not sure what is wrong either

they have suggested for me to remove that application but when I do that I can no longer tail when it goes into emergency mode unless I stare at the screen for hours on end

thus the reason why I wish to write a small application that I can show them that the application is not causing the problem nor generating a fake message

forgive any typos I am using voice input to type the message

Upvote 0

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
that is what we are trying to figure out right now Metro & T Mobile are merging and Metro only had is CDMA phones whereas t Mobile has GSM so they are not sure if it is that a problem with the merger or my phone is defective

Upvote 0

MotoMusher

Licensed User
Longtime User
in libs tab, check off phone

in your code

dim p as phone.
some options to look at are
p.GetNetworkOperatorName
p.GetNetworkType
p.GetPhoneType
p.GetSimOperator

I'd try just dumping them out to a text file every minute and letting it run for a while. Guessing you may see something?

Upvote 0

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
i could try that...when it happens, ALL other functions work just fine...

but i could try that...better than nuttin!

thanks!

Upvote 0

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks like a network problem to me. Especially if your time changes randomly when it is set to get the time from network.
Your phone will go into emergency mode if your network rejects to give you service (could be either due to billing or number not recognized). Your network recognizes the subscriber using the IMSI which is sent to the HLR to check whether it is a valid number on their network. If the HLR says its not a good number, you will be thrown off service.

Upvote 0

Z80CPU

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you for that info. I do suspect it is the network. The time is set from the towers, but as far as it being different, that is not the case as this 'event' lasts for 1 - 2 seconds. And it is not a billing problem. As i have service all the time and the bill IS paid... ;)

Thanks again!

Upvote 0