Erel - my datetime problem

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't understand if he agrees or disagrees with me :)
I disagree. I would expect to normally work in local time because common uses of time are for local time things like appointments or TV program scheduling.

Some things like email dates and file timestamps are best stored as UTC and converted for display into local time For example if I am having an email interchange with Erel the displayed time in my email app for when Erel sent an email is displayed in my local time, as is the time I received it, so that I know he sent it a few minutes ago without having to make a mental correction for a possibly unknown time zone and daylight saving.

So I would normally expect all times to be displayed by default in my present local time so I can make time difference judgements without problems.

Upvote 0

kickaha

Licensed User
Longtime User
To clarify,

It was not meant as any kind of insult, and if you were offended I apologise.

I was just stating that it is nonsensical for aspects of the time to be returned without accounting for local settings, as that is the time for that particular user at that particular location.

:sign0089::sign0089::sign0089:

Upvote 0

hackhack

Licensed User
Longtime User
To clarify,

It was not meant as any kind of insult, and if you were offended I apologise.

I was just stating that it is nonsensical for aspects of the time to be returned without accounting for local settings, as that is the time for that particular user at that particular location.

:sign0089::sign0089::sign0089:

Ok cheers kickaha, perhaps i was having a bad day (bad year in general, so quite possible)

This thread was just sparked because I got the wrong local time, because the time was adjusted. Oh well, small thing.

Upvote 0