B4R Question ESP8266 appears damaged - won't re-program

Starchild

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have sometimes had trouble getting the ESP8266 to re-program when it is busy in a blocking function and also Sleeping. It seems to still run the last loaded program. Just can't reprogram it.

I found by some "skilful timing" of manually pressing the reset button (or reset wire) to just before the actual flash programming cycle begins, you can get it to re-program again.

This is best observed from Arduino IDE as it displays a full compiling/programming progress trace.
After a B4R project build you can locate the arduino sketch files in ...your-b4r-project/objects/src

Has anyone else experienced this programming lockout?
It would be good to get some validation of this problem.

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Mine seems to have some burned pins so it compiles but not behaves as I want it to... I will keep this one for simple 1 or 2 pins projects...
A new one is in the mail!

Upvote 0

positrom2

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was having the same issue (flashing always ok, but code execution random). After powering by a stabilized 3.3V supply it looks like the problem is solved.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I was having the same issue (flashing always ok, but code execution random). After powering by a stabilized 3.3V supply it looks like the problem is solved.
I had that problem too, powering from the laptop usb port seemed to not be enought to run the project, but OK to compile and upload to the esp...
I had a power block laying around and a breadboard friendly psu, and never had issues like that

Upvote 0