Everyone has heard of Enigma - what about Colossus?

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I accidentally came across this YouTube video:

One hour long but gets progressively more interesting.

I've no doubt agraham is up on it:)

drgottjr

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for that, a very informative clip. Was it just me who felt transported back to a university lecture?
But "Colossus" made me smile even more. Because a chess programme with that name ran on my beloved 8-bit ATARI. I was never much of a chess player, but it was interesting to pit the little 8-bit ATARI against the Mephisto of my best friend and see it win again and again... Great programme!

colossuschess.gif
(c) Picture by Wikipedia (Originally from Atari-Magazin 04/1988)

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
somewhere I have a book that talked about Tommy Flowers and some other now forgotten stuff about Bletchley Park - come to think of it - it must have been about Bletchley Park.....good one @JackKirk 👍

BlueVision

Licensed User
Longtime User
I remember getting the Enigma algorithm to work under VB and then being very proud of myself. Unfortunately I can no longer find the source code, it would certainly be easy to implement under B4A/J/I. But firstly, it no longer offers any protection these days and secondly, it was very time-consuming.
I am all the more grateful to Erel for the integrated Encrypt/Decrypt function, it is easy to use, fast and offers very good protection.
Of course, with enough criminal energy you can crack any code at some point. It's a question of algorithm and computing power. And in the end, the code at Bletchley was actually cracked by trying out the start roller settings of an Enigma once they had an idea of the encryption principle. Nevertheless, it is a huge effort when you see how many people worked on the project and how many large code-breaking machines were built to decipher the encryption of an ENIGMA, a device the size of a travelling typewriter.
I'm digressing again, wasn't this about COLOSSUS?

rabbitBUSH

Licensed User
looks like enough people are interested in this thread to brave submitting this link.

Here's another video Actually audio (sorry another interesting hour - once these two yobbos get going that is.......) - this one made by Peter Hart who interviewed Tommy Flowers (there's reference and a link in YouTube to that interview they say - didn't check - maybe they forgot . . . EDIT : turns out its embedded in the audio near the end of the piece.). Some voice clips of Tommy played in this video, from that interview.
Well, if you can - - - log into your YouTube (Premium)/Google account or you're subject to a bunch of solicitation.

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I accidentally came across this YouTube video:
I've no doubt agraham is up on it:)

Germany's contributed (bigly) to the advancement of science and technology and still doing.. Uncle H never did a good thing to Germany or the world, but
I believe in "Morgen, lacht uns wieder das Glück"
Encypting a text message that can not brake is not hard, problem is no goverment will allow you to do that. Goverment will not allow you to encypt messages as you wish, yu must follow the rules, then they kow how to brake it. cheers!