Excel time

DMW

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,
As a former professional MS Excel I would like to point out that many shortcomings can easily be worked around by creating templates in Excel ๐Ÿ˜‰

Having said that, the JPOI library biggest lack is the fact that it cannot read true templates, i e Excel files with the file extension XLT. (Yes, I have suggested it to the JPOI dev. team)

Take care everyone!

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Regarding suggestions from @aaronk. Instead of doing this...
B4X:
excel.setformula(sheet1,C,6,"=SUM(C2:C5)")

...couldn't we just use the same put syntax as for non-formulas?
B4X:
excel.put("sheet1","A","5", "=SUM(C2:C5)")

yazdan70

This will be a great work.
Export b4xtable or tableView to a excel file and prints it with wrap text rows and select print area, page size and any other properties to the multiple pages, .It can solve all printing problems. . This can be a good alternative to Crystal Report .

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Visual Formating is something I use a lot too, to create Grids, thick wall, double walls thin walls, only left, only right, etc..
Of course also Text Formatting!

Samuel Ramirez

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi Erel,

It would be nice to have the capability to create and update graphs on excel via B4J. Greetings!!!

Well, hello everyone ๐Ÿ‘‹, I'm new to B4X (I just downloaded it) and I was always faithful lover of VB and VBA, but these times where everything is cross platform (IOT) Visual Basic pitifully left behind, being that it is the best language ever created.๐Ÿ˜ญ (I love the human friendly syntax)

I always work with Excel (because everyone uses Excel ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ), so this news encouraged me even more to decide on B4X (instead of learning as many languages as JAVA, C#, Python, JavaScrypt, TypeScript, etc).๐Ÿ˜ต

So thank you very much Erel for your dedication and make life easier for so many people (like me). ๐Ÿ˜ฌ I hope by the end of the year to learn the language quite a bit. ๐Ÿ˜ฐ

Jonathan Urbina
Argentina

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

this looks really awesome and can be very useful when creating b4j webapps. any plans to make a excel library for b4i? i think it is very much missing :)

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You can use a B4J web server together with the mobile apps.

:eek::eek::eek:

Wow, Erel i swear this is the solution i was thinking of when i wrote the post above. Are you reading our minds now??
The problem though with this solution is that the user will need to be connected to the net to be able to create an excel document, unlike b4a where i could create a service and do the creation whenever the user will have back an internet connection.

but that should do the job for 90% of the cases :)

I'm just curious: What's the use-case you see for a library like this on a mobile device?

very simple, i have several apps where the user would like to create an excel file from the data in the app to preview it on a pc or share it with others.
now i use the csv option to create a csv file with the data (in b4i) but cannot format anything or do it like i do on b4a.

I'm just curious: What's the use-case you see for a library like this on a mobile device?

Let's see: I (in my case) love robotics (Arduino, RsPi.., FPGA'S, PLC, etc.) not only for automation (Home Automation), but also for "Scientific" purposes (Home Science, to bring people closer and motivated to science, children, young people and adults)

I try to instill the care of the environment and sustainable coexistence. And whether you want it or not, everyone uses Excel, because it is a beautiful platform for data analysis.

Many times we need to "INTERPRET THE DATA", not only calculate, and in most cases, if we need to sit down and program something that does complex calculations, tables, etc., we waste a lot of time in development, then that's why excel is necessary.

In cases where you really need a cross platform (FPGA'S + SENSORS + WEB SERVICE & VIEWER + DESKTOP APPLICATION + APPLICATION PHONE), when your information is valuable to another colleague, when you need to show others your discovery, etc.

Remember that the internet was created for that purpose, not to order a coffee on Amazon (Collateral Damage). So, Excel is very necessary to evaluate and interpret the data received, share it, etc. etc. because it is a platform that everyone knows how to use, and where everyone (minimally) learned to program.

Currently, I want to develop a cross platform to monitor storms in my city, and with that data, train a pseudo AI to send the information to the different automated modules in each house where it is installed, thus making the electrical and electronic equipment disconnect from the network and are not damaged.

As well as this network of sensors installed in each home, provide data in real time, to be able to carry out a true climate mapping of the city, which provides data to all alternative energy installers, so that they can efficiently carry out a installation (Know whether to put solar panels or wind generators, as there are wind corridors throughout the city).

And believe me! for all this I need excel on the phone. Well, I never know when something new will occur to me with the data received.

And this is just one of the millions of cases where you need this library and B4X.

Hard work awaits me, and much more even knowing that I am in Argentina, where what you get for 5 dollars, I get it for 15 ~ 20. ๐Ÿ˜ž

So you will see me many times on the forum ๐Ÿ˜…

๐Ÿ˜ญ So thank you very much for this Library Erel, you don't know how much I appreciate it, one day I will have money to donate to the cause.

Hi all,
As a former professional MS Excel I would like to point out that many shortcomings can easily be worked around by creating templates in Excel ๐Ÿ˜‰

Having said that, the JPOI library biggest lack is the fact that it cannot read true templates, i e Excel files with the file extension XLT. (Yes, I have suggested it to the JPOI dev. team)

Take care everyone!

Exactly! ๐Ÿ‘

And not only that, I do not see very necessary to insert formulas in a cell, because it makes the book weigh more, directly placing the result of the calculation in the cell, it is already more than enough, because once in excel (through a template) the book can do whatever you want and in real time if you wish (programming in VBA, VSTO, ExcellAddin, Solutions, etc). ๐Ÿ™ƒ