Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Clipboard Image.jpg

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Debugging involves problem solving. It's an adventure of sorts. In a way one can think of oneself as Indiana Jones by the computer - The Hunt For The Crash. Everybody wants to be Indiana.

Reading documentation is something a boring professor would do. Nobody wants to be that guy.

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I assume this meme is a sarcasm.
Erel's one line message on each of the latest library updates may only need 5 seconds to read.

Example:
v3.02 - Updated dependencies. Requires B4A v13.0+ with an updated Android SDK.

Last edited:

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How about
"5 minutes of debugging can sometimes help you to save 5 hours of reading the documentation"? 😂

Note: "sometimes"
Sometimes I need 1 hour to read a page (or a paragraph) of documentation, where the documentation is like 120 pages.

teddybear

Licensed User
Reading does not equal comprehension, especially for non-native speaker, a debugging is usually the best way to understand the documentation

Reactions: byz

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sometimes you find bugs in the documentation folder! it's always a good practice to carry your basket with you to collect them.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't really agree.

Let's take a B4X project for example. Should I read ALL the documentation to fix a bug? Lots of topics that have nothing to do with it?

No, I read any error message or the line that triggered it. Then I could possibly read the documentation, but often it is not necessary, it is sufficient to search on the site.

Today you can even ask ChatGPT what the error could be.

In short, it is not true that it is more important and simpler to read the documentation, it is better to carry out well-done debugging (unless you do not know at all the language you are using; in this case it is better for you to go fishing :))

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't really agree.

Let's take a B4X project for example. Should I read ALL the documentation to fix a bug? Lots of topics that have nothing to do with it?

No, I read any error message or the line that triggered it. Then I could possibly read the documentation, but often it is not necessary, it is sufficient to search on the site.

Today you can even ask ChatGPT what the error could be.

In short, it is not true that it is more important and simpler to read the documentation, it is better to carry out well-done debugging (unless you do not know at all the language you are using; in this case it is better for you to go fishing :))
Hmm... Fishing... ?... is there any documentation?

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As I have mentioned, the keyword is sometimes.
You may be lucky to get a solution by trial and error, which happened to me most of the time that sometimes I don't even understand what I am doing. Sometimes I am out of luck.

Sometimes we took longer time to find a solution which we didn't realize and expect.

Alex_197

Licensed User
Longtime User
How about
"5 minutes of debugging can sometimes help you to save 5 hours of reading the documentation"? 😂

Note: "sometimes"
Sometimes I need 1 hour to read a page (or a paragraph) of documentation, where the documentation is like 120 pages.
And after you spent hours on reading these 120 pages you will hit a wall trying to understand why it doesn't work. Turns out that the API or SDK was sunsetted 3 years ago :)
I've been in this situation myself. I tried to send a request to the API only to find out that their SSL has expired 3 years ago.