How to get 50k users building incredible app features?

hookshy

Licensed User
Longtime User
A guess there are some questions that hunts every developer:
Why does the users uninstall my app ?
Why other app are installed and mine not , it still does the same thing ?
Have you ever stayed behind a tester to see how do they do it ? How do they see your app ! I was stoned to see how users react to some features of the app !
My app is so smart and simple to use I do not understand why people does not get how it works ?
I have some features that outstands the market , but yet users are to stupid to see how to benefit from these features ?

Well....
80% users do not even find menu button of their device :)
20% users do not find buttons on main screen (happens to developers olso)

80% users do not read app instructions at all
20% users do read instructions and find the app to hard to understand how it works

80% users are trained with common buttons actions do not expect to understand more that a click action

Do not complicate your life !!
I have added options to one of my app... Result the users curve is going downnnnnnnnn

Are users ready for complicated stuff ??? NO ..
You have added description and answered questions without no result ... Well you are welcome to our b4a community !

Your app must be intuitive .. but what intuitive realy means when users do not find buttons ?
Do not let users configure much parameters. put you buttons were the users are expecting to press them .
Copy layout well known app ... upons saving , exiting.
Use back key to navigate through your app !!
Find the worst user to test you app and stay behind him to see how his brain is reacting to you layout .
You developed outstanding features in you app ! 20% of your features might be understood by an average user ... do not belive it , then test it out !

I will let other comment and add their experience and thought to this thread ... but remember !!
Be gentle with users ... they will learn to press buttons with little help.
Thank you !

Last edited:

hookshy

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have recently tested some app on Fiverr.com and I beleve as time passes everyword I have wrote above ...
Users are pain in the ass when have to figure out how to press a button !!! :confused::mad:
When I teach a user how should use an app ... the say ..oh what and easy way to do things.... if i let them test some functions ... Oh nooooooooooo
to hard to understand
so do not ever expect more than 50% retention rate ...
then 15% or more are the one than do not understand when the see a push button
the others are described above .

and one more thing ... If you make your app too easy to understand you will get review like
Normal, usual , too easy , regular , simplu , banal, sucks , .... so quit this job :cool:

Good luck developers :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
you can never satisfy everyone. too complex for regulars, too simple or too less features for the advanced.

I'm building intranet application for 15 years now and always had a big eye on usability and to get stuff done in as less possible steps and as less page refreshed (ajax/jquery driven).

But now at my new job they push it even harder, they just say that you have to live into it from a person that's roughly said dumber than dumb so they want big buttons and if possible with icons so that they see it's used for something
otherwise the colleagues classified as computer noobs will not be able to use the application.

You can summerize it to: it's not if you think your app is easy to use that it is easy for the end user, everyone is different. (not to mention that a goodlooking design helps too even if it has less features)