B4i Library iGameView - Library for games

iGameView is a port of B4A GameView library: https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/gameview-create-2d-android-games-part-i.20038/

It also includes methods for low latency audio playback, similar to B4A SoundPool. These features are based on the following open source project: https://github.com/kstenerud/ObjectAL-for-iPhone (see the license in the readme).

You can use the audio playback features without the GameView drawing features.

Three examples are included:

GameViewSmiley: simple example with no interaction

Jumping smiley: vertical scrolling game where the user controls the smiley by tilting the phone.

Asteroids: classic asteroids example. This also includes a game pad class.

You should start by going over the B4A tutorials. The main concepts are the same.
https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/threads/gameview-create-2d-android-games-part-i.20038/

Tips & notes

- The B4A examples use %x / %y for most measurements. In B4i you should only use percentage inside Page_Resize event. As an alternative we handle the Page1_Resize event once and store the page width and height. Note that all of the layout is set in the first resize event.
- B4i Rect object stores the values as floats while B4A Rect object stores the values as Ints. You can use Round to round the values before they are set.
- Performance should be tested in release mode (Alt + T + B + R).
If it starts to be very slow in debug mode then stop the program, click on Ctrl + P (clean project) and run again.
The performance in release mode should be good. It can handle several hundred sprites.

- You will see in the examples that I'm using this sub to create canvas objects:
B4X:
'don't forget to release when done
Public Sub CreateCanvas (width1 As Int, height1 As Int) As Canvas
   Dim iv As ImageView
   iv.Initialize("")
   iv.SetLayoutAnimated(0, 1, 0, 0, width1, height1)
   Dim c As Canvas
   c.Initialize(iv)
   Return c
End Sub
This is an alternative to B4A Bitmap.InitializeMutable method.

If you are using the hosted builder then only the XML file is required.

Attachments

• upload_2016-9-6_14-23-44.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 24
  • GameViewSmiley.zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 65
  • JumpingSmiley.zip
    24.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Asteroids.zip
    249.7 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Mark Turney

Licensed User
Longtime User
Woohoo!! Thanks as always Erel!!

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
does this contain any acceleration or is everything on IOS accelerated anyway?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
When I try my project that ran fine on my IOS9 device at work on my IOS7 device at home I get an immediate crash without any info in the log window.

Is iGameView also requiring IOS9 or better like iSpritekit does (also crashes) ?

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The phone is at home so I can only test things tonight.

I didn't disabled it myself so it's probably still on.

It also turns out it's an iphone 4 and nothe 4S I thought it was so I'm stuck on 7.1.2 or something.
I have a 5 or 5S at home aswell but I don't know on what it is running will verify it on that one aswell.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
now it's working fine. without touching the source.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…