Android Question MediaPlayerStream stutters randomly on Pixel 8

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello. Since moving to a google Pixel 8 my mp3 app using MediaPlayerStream stutters during playback. By which I mean the sound stops for a split second with no apparent pattern. Has anybody experienced this? Is MediaPlayerStream an old method for streaming music? I'm streaming mp3s from a server with a simple http url. It hasn't happened on any other device until now and doesn't happen when playing in a browser on the same phone.

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
I can't get ExoPlayer to work yet. I can't get past "Cannot find: C:\Program Files\Anywhere Software\B4A\libraries\com.google.guava-guava.jar" and I can't find it in the sdk manager, which I have updated. Do I need to start a new thread for this?
I'm happy to stick with mediaplayer if I can find a solution to the sound dropping out.

Upvote 0

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Where do I find that? The download link leads me to v12.80. I have followed the setup instructions and re-installed the jdk-14.0.1

Upvote 0

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
adb: failed to install ExoPlayer_RAPID_DEBUG.apk: Failure [INSTALL_FAILED_VERSION_DOWNGRADE: Downgrade detected: Update version code 1 is older than current 2]
I can't find an answer to this issue now. I have looked.

Upvote 0

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK. I have it working. Exoplayer is no better. I think this is a Phone issue, unless anybody has anything to add.

Upvote 0

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually, I think exoplayer is better. I stream mp3s from my home and in a browser they play fine, as well on other devices with mediaplayerstream, both on the home network and remotely. I believe there is no buffer setting with mediaplayerstream, but I can't even be sure that it isn't a volume related thing.

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Actually, I think exoplayer is better.
I think you are misunderstanding.

Exoplayer is not a Streaming Service. It is just a player.

The Streaming Service is the one who provide the Stream.

Upvote 0

jimseng

Licensed User
Longtime User
I didn't explain myself very well. My "streaming service" is just passing a URL to mediaplayerstream of my mp3 collection on my web server at home. When I changed to my Pixel 8 I discovered that the sound output stutters using my app but not opening the same URL in chrome on my phone. I don't believe it is a bandwidth issue. I couldn't find why mediaplayerstream did this, or even if the playback actually stops, rather than a sound output problem (via bluetooth or with the phone speakers) but since switching to exoplayer I don't think it happens. I still want to know why the mediaplayer has this issue on this phone, but I may never find the answer.

Upvote 0