MP3 Music Help

TOB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Need some help or advice here.

I'm working on a Kids Alphabet App where I include a MP3 song for every letter. Needless to say it takes up a lot of space. I have changed the bit rate from 128k to 56k to make the MP3 files smaller. They went from 1 Meg to 400k - but with quality as the loser. Currently the APK file is 14MB :BangHead:

Is there any way I can get the size even smaller without compromising the quality. Maybe a different format? Or can someone recommend a good tool to squeeze the MP3 files smaller in a better way than just changing the bit rate?

Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Rgs
Tonny

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
If the songs (melodies) are instrumental, you can perhaps get hold of MIDI-versions? If yes, then maybe you can use the audio-library (posted elsewhere) to play the melodies. Being in MIDI, the file-size will be very small.

Need some help or advice here.

I'm working on a Kids Alphabet App where I include a MP3 song for every letter. Needless to say it takes up a lot of space. I have changed the bit rate from 128k to 56k to make the MP3 files smaller. They went from 1 Meg to 400k - but with quality as the loser. Currently the APK file is 14MB :BangHead:

Is there any way I can get the size even smaller without compromising the quality. Maybe a different format? Or can someone recommend a good tool to squeeze the MP3 files smaller in a better way than just changing the bit rate?

Any help or advice will be appreciated!

Rgs
Tonny

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Or you can create an apk file with basic requirement. After user installed your app on device, it will download all songs from internet.

Upvote 0

etLux

Licensed User
Longtime User
Tonny,

Having had some experience in this area, in the end,
there's no magic act that can reduce the file size of
an audio file without significant loss of quality.

One thought might be to hot-load the .mp3's from a
web server. That is, rather than having them incorporate
in the app itself, download them into the app on demand.

[Just noticed susu beat me to that suggestion... lol.]

Bandwidth has gotten fairly cheap, so this might be
quite viable if you're not expecting enormous traffic.

Best,

David
-----
David Sosnowski
The Music of David Sosnowski

Upvote 0

TOB

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks all.

I don't want to load the music off a web-server. They need to be included as the songs has a special role in the the experience (the lyrics). That's why Midi is no-go as well.

I think I'll try to see how much I can squeeze off by turning them into mono.

Upvote 0

etLux

Licensed User
Longtime User
Tonny,

Another trick you might try is EQ'ing off some of the
higher and lower frequencies -- that might gain you
some reduction in file size.

You probably can get away with clipping off, say,
everything below 120 Hz and above 8000 Hz or so
without missing it too much.

Best,