Prevent ad blocker app?

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote some free apps with AdMob to collect a little bit of money. But there are some people who use AdFree, AdBlock to block ad banner. It's not fair! So my idea is:
When my app starts, it will check the installed packages (using PackageManager) if there're AdFree, AdBlock my app will exit with message like "Sorry, we need to display ad to keep it alive".
Is it a good way to prevent ad blocker app? I know they can change the package name but is it easy to change?

I want to hear your thought. Thank you :D

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
I wrote some free apps with AdMob to collect a little bit of money. But there are some people who use AdFree, AdBlock to block ad banner. It's not fair! So my idea is:
When my app starts, it will check the installed packages (using PackageManager) if there're AdFree, AdBlock my app will exit with message like "Sorry, we need to display ad to keep it alive".
Is it a good way to prevent ad blocker app? I know they can change the package name but is it easy to change?

I wouldn't imagine they would go the trouble of changing their apps details just to circumvent apps checking if theirs is installed and not running if it is, after all you could just download their app and change yours to search for whatever new name they gave it.

You might find that you alienate some users though as they may see it, not as you protecting your right to make some money for your hard work, but as you making them choose to choose between your app or keeping the ad blocker installed.

Perhaps the best option is to check, as you say, for the ad blocker and refuse to allow the app to run but on the page where users download your app make mention it will not run if ad blocking software is in use?

Dave

Upvote 0

Brad

Licensed User
Longtime User
If they installed AdFree then I would highly doubt they would be clicking on any ads so I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your all sharings. I think we need to accept the reality.

Upvote 0

LittleEddie

Licensed User
Longtime User
I put in my own image, so that if the AdMob Ad is not showing for whatever reason, Ad blocker, no network, etc, ..... It will show my Ad to my web sites.

That way the space isn't empty, and it can't be blocked.

Upvote 0

mistermentality

Licensed User
Longtime User
That's a good idea, I know some applications also have an added menu option often titled "other apps" which if you click it will take you to a market page for their other apps or their website.

Dave

Upvote 0

susu

Licensed User
Longtime User
I put in my own image, so that if the AdMob Ad is not showing for whatever reason, Ad blocker, no network, etc, ..... It will show my Ad to my web sites.

That way the space isn't empty, and it can't be blocked.

AdMob supports Ad House to display my own ads if AdMob's ads didn't serve.

Upvote 0

LittleEddie

Licensed User
Longtime User
Yes, I want to use that also, but Ad House don't work when Ad Blocker is, or there's no connection and that's the question.

Upvote 0