Android Question SaveCSV2 filename variable - What am I'm I missing

JThompson

Attempting to export to a CSV file. I have a dialog allowing the user to set the file name that is saved to a variable "fName." The app then checks for the extension ".csv."
If it is not there (or something else) it appends it.

B4X:
''//Remove Everything after '.' including the '.'  - Even if the user adds the ".csv"
        Dim DotPosition As Int
        DotPosition =  fName.IndexOf(".")
        If DotPosition>-1 Then
            'Dim NewName As String
            fName = fName.SubString2(0,DotPosition) & ".csv"
            Log(fName)
        Else
            fName = fName & ".csv"
        End If

Here is the code I use to get the correct directory:
B4X:
Dim rp As RuntimePermissions
        rp.GetSafeDirDefaultExternal("Download")
        Dim fileDir As String = File.DirRootExternal & "/Download"
        If File.IsDirectory(File.DirRootExternal , "Download") = False Then
            File.MakeDir(File.DirRootExternal, "Download")
        End If

I get the "java.io.FileNotFoundException: /storage/emulated/0/Download/FuelExpenses.csv: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)" error while executing this line
B4X:
StrinUtil.SaveCSV2(fileDir, fName, ",", ListData,ListHeader)

If I leave off the ".csv" extension, no error.
If I hard code the name into the "SaveCSV2" file name, no error.
If I hard code the name into the variable fName (fName="Export.csv") then pass the variable to the SaveCSV2 function, no error.
It's only when I append the extension in code that I receive the error. Additionally I've tried to using the StringBuilder object to concatenate the two strings, same error.

My manifest does contain the 'android:requestLegacyExternalStorage="true"' attribute and I have tried setting the "targetSdkVersion" to 28, 31, and 33. Same error.

I'm a long-suffering VBA programmer and I'm new to B4A, so I know I'm missing something obvious.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

JThompson

Thanks Erel. The code you sent works, but it defeats the purpose of what I'm attempting to do. I just want to force the ".csv" extension. With the SaveAs code I have no way of checking/changing the file name once the user hits the 'Save' button.

Upvote 0