Sockets and Android

LMDEV

Licensed User
Longtime User
Knowing that the Android Emulator can access the Internet through the PC connection (either hardwired or wireless), how can I use the Socket Object in the Network.LIB to communicate with TCP Listen client to remote wireless nodes?

Is there a Port redirect command for the emulator? Basically I have a remote Service at 165.254.1.1 listening on PORT 2000. My PC has connectivity Associated and Connected, as I can ping the service and get replies.

The association I have between PC and Remote service is AD-hoc. I was told that Android doesn't support AD-Hoc network associations. Has anyone developed this one to one connection between PC emulator or Android device and Wireless Node?

If not with PC emulator can development happen with actual Android hardware such as a Pad?
:sign0085:

LMDEV

Licensed User
Longtime User
Ok, Is there anyone out there that is attempting to use an Android based phone or Pad to interface with a wifi enabled devices that are not a web server???
Basically I would like to use these devices to be my remote GUI to Wifi enabled devices, but not web servers. These remote devices can be TCP or UDP services that listen on predefinced ports and report back to a host requests.

The Basic4andoird Development enviroment is super, I just need help getting this type of connectivity.:sign0163::sign0163::sign0163:

Upvote 0

Gary Miyakawa

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm using B4A to talk with a Video Conferencing system (for control only) over a Telnet type communications protocol. They happen to use Port 24. Works well.. Just put the App in the Android Marketplace.. We'll see what happens when a bunch of folks start beating on it! :) :)

Just used Erel's demo/tutorials here and got it all working..

Cheers,

Gary M

Upvote 0

LMDEV

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks Gary :sign0098:for your reply.
Just getting started so I guess I need to read more tutorials.

Did you develop and debug with hardware or were you able to use the Android emulator?

Upvote 0

Gary Miyakawa

Licensed User
Longtime User
LMDEV,

I used the emulator to get started and passing data. Did not run into any issues but mine was all wired network though, near the end of development, I was testing thru the wifi network in my office..

Gray M

Upvote 0