B4R Question [Solved] TM1637 Clock options!

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi All,
In Erel's example here , is it posible to replace the clock connection to external clock (555, debounced switch, sensor...etc) instead of the Ardiono digital pin, or it's more tricky?
Thank you in advance

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
As in: you'd like to count incoming pulses from a debounced switch or sensor?

(not sure why you'd be counting from a 555, rather than just using the cpu clock oscillator via timer but scaled appropriately)

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
As in: you'd like to count incoming pulses from a debounced switch or sensor?

(not sure why you'd be counting from a 555, rather than just using the cpu clock oscillator via timer but scaled appropriately)

Thanks but I don't want to just count, but to count small spare parts automatically. they come at random.. no fixed frequency.. even the 555 frequency is variable. problem is the 1637 requires a minimum frequency of 1KHz whis, first, too high, second, it's fixed. I hope there's a way around this

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
problem is the 1637 requires a minimum frequency of 1 kHz

Where did you get this information from?

which is, first, too high

I would agree with that if that information was correct, but the random TM1637 datasheet I looked at did not specify a minimum data clock frequency (or a maximum data clock period).

second, it's fixed

What problem does that cause?

I feel like I am misunderstanding your question.

Are we talking about the clock (pin 19 of TM1637) that is used to shift the data (pin 17 of TM6637) from the microcontroller to the TM1637 LED display driver chip?

Or are we talking about counting the slow pulses that represent the small spare parts that are being counted?

Upvote 0

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I thought a schmitt trigger will square up the hysteresis instead of removing them. Debouncing can be acheived by either a small value ceramic disc capacitor or by software, I used 60 ms delay after trial and error.

Upvote 0