Strange conversation with my ISP

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Had a really odd chat with my ISP today.

I rang them because I had received emails from them regarding the fact they had detected malware on a device that was connected to my network.

I explained I had scanned all the scannable devices ( Xbox's and Tv's couldn't be scanned ). The only thing the scanner complained about was their router.
The person I spoke to said they would scan the router from their end.

Almost instantly after the scan he said, I will send you out a new router. (Odd I thought, guilty conscience on there side)
He then went on to tell me due to the price increases my package would increase by £30 odd per month.

Then he offered me a new package, all my existing package plus new router, new TV boxes, WiFi repeater and Netflix included, Same Download speed, new mobile contracts for my 4 sims.

All for about £40 / month less than I currently pay.

I love it when they realise it's their problem with malware not mine.

Made my day.

Needless to say I am now waiting for the new equipment and sims to arrive. :)

JohnC

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Be careful with offers like that because my ISP change my plan for the same "speed", but I later found out the "download" speed stayed the same, but the upload speed went from 30 to 5mps!

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I already checked the details, same as before 1130 down and 50 up

ac9ts

Licensed User
Longtime User
Mark your calendar for a year from now. You may be getting a promotional price and then it will go back to normal. It usually just takes a phone call (or two) to get them to re-up you to the promotional price. I've had mixed success over the years.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The router model is tg3492lg - as to what happened to it I don't know. The ISP checked the router from their end.
To be fair, the scanner I ran only complained about the router as it had open ports to the internet. Wouldn't be much use if it didn't, as that's the whole purpose of the router.