Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Do it differently

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
For a few years I have been thinking about an unconventional grill, which has cells of different sizes. I tried to apply them in my FlexGrid by adding the merge cells option. The result is interesting but I wanted something more flexible. (I never posted these changes)

Today I had some time and an epiphany.. and I started a new class.... here is the result
Who knows, maybe there will be a library... we'll see

1726731473769.png
b4a_screenshot.png

B4X:
SD_TileGrid1.AddRow(100dip).AddCol(100dip).AddPanel("1",100dip).AddCol(120dip).AddPanel("2",40dip).AddPanel("3",60dip).AddCol(70dip).AddPanel("2",40dip).AddPanel("3",60dip).AddCol(100dip).AddPanel("2",70dip).AddPanel("3",30dip).AddCol(60dip).AddPanel("",20dip).AddPanel("",80dip)
SD_TileGrid1.Addrow(50dip).AddCol(300dip).AddPanel("",50dip).AddCol(150dip).AddPanel("",50dip)
SD_TileGrid1.AddRow(300dip).AddCol(100dip).AddPanel("",150dip).AddPanel("",50dip).AddPanel("",100dip)
SD_TileGrid1.AddCol(150dip).AddPanel("",300dip)
SD_TileGrid1.AddCol(200dip).AddPanel("",50dip).AddPanel("",150dip).AddPanel("",80dip).AddPanel("",20dip)
SD_TileGrid1.Addrow(50dip).AddCol(300dip).AddPanel("",50dip).AddCol(150dip).AddPanel("",50dip)
SD_TileGrid1.Refresh

Last edited:

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The problem I see is, what happens if I change the width of the window, can I scroll horizontally, or does the size adjust automatically? This is something I have not been able to solve yet when I define a width when adding an item.

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
At the moment the cells contain customizable panels identified by an ID, but I do not exclude a row and column identification.

I have several ideas but they are not yet mature

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I will develop some examples of use later on.. But it is not difficult to imagine the purpose. Obviously it is not useful for everyone

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
A first trivial example of using a non-uniform grid

1726841810388.png

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Another example

1726842923157.png

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Like Windows Mobile or Windows 8? Isn't it an outdated design?
Someone may like it, I have no opinion.
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean and if it has any relation to my grill

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
it seems very complicated to me, my eyes are spinning when I see it

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Sorry but I don't understand what you mean and if it has any relation to my grill
Have you seen Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8/10 start menu?
Windows_Phone_8_StartScreen.png
win8-start-screen.png

I seen one local bank system using tile design which I heard was designed by a student. I am not sure it is still there because my account was dormant for many years.

There is an accounting software developed by local company using the tile design. If I am not mistaken it is part of Syncfusion controls.

o61K4uv71710210326.png

For me, the "concept" is dated. Maybe it is because of the content of the tile or the shape. I don't know.

Last edited:

Star-Dust

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Now I understand.

The concept of tiles is old, but in mobile devices in some contexts it is practical to quickly reach information or to enclose a series of information that must immediately jump to the eye.

but the grid with Cells of different sizes can also be used for other purposes. if I have time I will make some examples

aeric

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
With modern hardware, I don't understand why we don't have new and better UI design in our OS (specifically Windows). I mean why we need to constraint the "button" to be square or rectangular? I prefer borderless "button" but we can make it glow as rounded corner button or underline/outline/other when hover or focus. And more animation... I believe the UI in modern games is more nicer.