Timer useage, is my principle wrong?

enonod

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have met problems using a timer to control the speed of repetitive shape drawing. It works fine until I use a different trigger to call A_Click (a bit more complex but the same principle.
Pseudo code showing the principle is below.
The purpose of the timer is to delay between each drawing.
After A_Click, a set of 6 drawings are drawn with a delay between them (6 automatic calls to Z_Tick).
When all are drawn the Timer is disabled and other code runs (after Else) doing something with drawings using the same timing as before by calling the A_Click from code instead of the button.
I seem to get later code running outside of the timer causing the sequence to corrupt. I don't understand how there could be a problem via time overlap.
I am trying to avoid using for next delays that will cause other problems.

Any insights or information that I may have misunderstood the use of timers would be welcome.
I cannot post actual code which would really confuse the issue.
[EDIT] It may be that I am recursing without realising it, heaven forbid, it would fry my brain.

B4X:
Set a suitable time in Z Timer 80mS
Press button A

Sub A_Click
  prepare shapes
  Count of shapes = 6 (say)
  timer Z enable
end sub

Sub Z_Tick
  If count > 0 then
      count=count-1
      draw a shape
      set new position
  else
      Timer Z disable
      do any number of things, timer is off
      do something to trigger Click A
  end if
end sub

Last edited:

mc73

Licensed User
Longtime User
Sure there's is enough time space for images to load before the click is triggered again?

Upvote 0

enonod

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks for your attention mc73.
I am convinced that timeout is not the issue.
At this stage I am really interested in eliminating the methodology as a cause, not least, to learn the proper way to control the speed via timer other than a delay loop or simple waiting for a timer.

Upvote 0