B4J Question Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml

simonwilliamson

Licensed User
I recently had an issue with Windows Defender classing my zipped version of a b4j 'Stand alone' Windows application (including the use of Inno Setup complier) as a potential virus (Trojan:Win32/Wacatac.B!ml). Searching this forum and elsewhere I'm certain this was a false positive however it got me thinking of the massive reputational consequences that accidently releasing a virus in one of our apps would cause. Game over, goodnight Vienna.
Is it theoretically possible, that if my PC was infected, that upon B4j compiling the stand alone package, some malware on my PC could sneak a virus into it? If this is possible, how could I best mitigate against this (other than making sure my PC wasn't infected in the first place, which I guess can never be 100% assured).

Any thoughts?

DarkoT

Licensed User
My thinking is as follows (stemming from occasional engagement with lectures on cyber security). Firstly, we must realize that there is no 100% security, and secondly, that humans are always the weakest link in the cyber security chain. It's always possible for someone (intentionally or unintentionally) to cause an infection in the system, as viruses and other malicious software are becoming increasingly complex, while security (cyber) is always playing catch-up – at least one step behind. I advise using verified software protection – Windows Defender alone (as part of the OS) is better than nothing, but for professional use, invest approximately €100 and purchase a good solution. Still, this won't solve all problems; the basic rule still applies – act responsibly, thoughtfully, if unsure – ask, if not sure – don't open... Simple and effective. However, I also greatly fear being the "cause" of infection for multiple users – as a developer and "distributor" of solutions...

Upvote 0

rboeck

Licensed User
Longtime User
Your problem is from using innosetup 6.2.1, look here:

Upvote 0

simonwilliamson

Licensed User
Your problem is from using innosetup 6.2.1, look here:
I did think it was a false positive because the .exe version was not triggering the virus scanner but the zip of the exe was. Upgrading to 6.2.2 seemed to stop it on my PC at least.

It just got me thinking about how it could be used as a method to unintendedly infect users and what possible safe guard against it happening could be used.

Out of interest, what compilation software would you recommend using instead of InnoSetup rboeck?

Upvote 0