Trying to get Hello World to work.

MichaelAust

Licensed User
Longtime User
Following the instructions in "http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/6480-hello-world-installing-android-emulator.html"
When I compile the program it fails with the error
B4X:
Compiling code.                         0.13
Generating R file.                      0.00
Compiling generated Java code.          1.34
Convert byte code - optimized dex.      Error
trouble writing output: The parameter is incorrect
   Standard dexer.
It is running in Windows XP in VirtualBox on a Linux Mint 10 Host.
Do you know what is wrong ?
Michael.

MichaelAust

Licensed User
Longtime User
No I haven't, I also tried the example in the pdf Beginners Guide (MyFirstProgram) with the same result. Also the android stuff is not in Program Files, but in C:/Android.

Upvote 0

MichaelAust

Licensed User
Longtime User
I got it to work by putting the source files on the C: drive instead of on a Shared Folder (Z. This is a nuisance since C: is within the Virtual Hard Disc, so can only be seen by the Virtual Machine and not by the host operating system. Maybe it is possible to make a short cut to the shared folder in C:, as I believe XP does not support symbolic links.

Edit: The shortcut did not work.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MichaelAust

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you Margret for your help. I found a solution by using the program Allway Sync (allwaysync.com). This allows me to sync the folder on the desktop with the folder on the shared (Linux) drive, automatically, so changes in either folder are synced to the other one automatically. Works great and is free. I think I will be buying basic4android soon.
Michael.

Upvote 0

MichaelAust

Licensed User
Longtime User
Upgraded VirtualBox Guest additions to 4.1.2. This removed the problem, no need for the workaround any more.
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…