Wanting to get an android tablet (UK)

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm looking to purchase (well, have gifted for my 30th birthday in 2 weeks) my first Android tablet. Budget about £200 - 250. Had a look around on net and dropped on the archos G9 80 and 101. BUT, as always, there are some bad reviews on net. Screen having auto activations (i.e. thinks your pressing it). Kinda put me off a bit. I understand that this is probably the minority and that every device has it's odd problem. It's the joys of electronics.

My questions are, Does anybody have either of these, if so, what are your experiences.

Can anybody recommend an alternative? Recently been reading comments on Ainol units and pandigital.

Also, debating getting a playbook in the hope that they do some updates or some modders do their thing on it. The playbook can be had for £160 here in UK and looks like good hardware let down by software.

Need to make my mind up soon...

thedesolatesoul

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User

Lordjack

I think you can have a look on Ainol NOVO7 Aurora.
Very easy to use.
And this one now running Android 4.0.3
I think it's pretty damm good.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
I ended up with the Archos G9 101 mate ;)

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I ended up with the Archos G9 101 mate ;)

It gets good reviews, makes my Advent Vega look a bit dated.

I bought myself a Huawei Ascend G300 yesterday and am pretty impressed with it.

Already got it rooted and ClockworkMod installed, waiting for an unlock code and then it's goodbye Voda hello Three.

An official ICS update is promised for the G300 'sometime this summer' which is good news.

Got a problem getting USB debugging to connect, hopefully the chaps at Modaco will have an answer sometime soon.

Martin.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks a good price for the spec.

You got the right driver. My tablet wouldn't connect and I thought I had a dud, turns out Archos have their own driver.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Looks like a good spec for price. £100 for an android device... Can't go wrong.

Are you sure you have the right driver, My tablet wouldn't connect. turns out archos have their own driver.

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah i have the right driver - the G300 even has a small built in ROM memory that shows up in Windows much like a CD-ROM and the official Huawei drivers are on that memory.

I've tried all the usual - manually pointing Device Manager to the installed driver folder, uninstalling and reinstalling but no success yet getting USB debugging connected.

There's a couple of other users on Modaco reporting the same issue and many more Modaco users who have had no problems at all.

As a workaround i'm using ADB WiFi so can do all the usual ADB stuff over wireless instead of USB.

I'm very impressed with the G300 it's a lot of kit for just £100.

Martin.

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There seems to be a surge of new Android tablets here in the UK at the moment.

A lot of non-brand name chinese imports with very good specs and very cheaply priced too.

I'm gonna wait for the market to stabilise and then get myself a new tablet with Android 4.0 to replace my old 2.2 Advent Vega.

Martin.

barx

Licensed User
Longtime User
Why not update your vega. I'm sure the vega has a pretty large modding community and is pretty well looked after when it comes to modding.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z

warwound

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Yeah there's various Honeycomb and even ICS custom ROMs available for the Vega but they tend to all have various issues - wifi connectivity and such.

The trouble with the Vega is it's screen.
It's basically a netbook screen with a touch sensitive layer added.
Viewing angles are pretty bad and the Vega is best used upside down if in landscape mode.

Anyway i fancy a 7" tablet with a resolution better than 800x480, 10" Vega is good in a way but clumsy too.

Martin.