Wasted effort

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
An our friend in the Italian forum inquired about copyright.

Another friend wrote about his code copied.

I am so fed up and disgusted that I did not want to correct this post (it is not the first) translated by Google Translate from Italian. So I COPY and paste the translation.
________________________________________________________________________________________

Just today I was reminded of an old transmission French "les chiffres et des lettres" (more or less), "numbers and letters."

Now made a search on Google:
site : play.google.com "numeri e lettere" OR "chiffres et des lettres" OR "numbers and letters"
(without spaces next to the two points, I put the facet, otherwise)

There are a dozen (at least) ... think if I had been the first and few professional company earned millions and now your 5 euro per year!

Time and mental energy wasted: o work in a company of that type or illuditi you're having to develop (of course I do not say to you, but to all of us).

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Even on this forum people are talking about cloning others' work.
I understand that cloning may be ok if the purpose is educational or training.. but for commercial use I think it is unfair (if it is legal at all), that people clone or copy others' efforts, without significantly contribute to the function and quality of the work.
But since we are living in a virtual jungle then everything is expected, and you should carry your gun at all times.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I try to correct the translation.

Just today I was remembering an old French transmission: "les chiffres et des lettres" (more or less), "numbers and letters."
I just did a Google search:

I found a dozen of them (at least) ... imagine if you had been the first and now some professional company earned millions and you 5 euro per year!

Time and mental energy wasted: you should work for that kind of company or you can continue to believe that you're having fun developing (of course I do not say to you, but to all of us).

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Even on this forum people are talking about cloning others' work.
I understand that cloning may be ok if the purpose is educational or training.. but for commercial use I think it is unfair (if it is legal at all), that people clone or copy others' efforts, without significantly contribute to the function and quality of the work.
But since we are living in a virtual jungle then everything is expected, and you should carry your gun at all times.

You can not fight using a gun against an atomic bomb

(By the way: the beheadings of ISIS are abominable.
USA's bombs also kill children, but THANK GOODNESS we do not see this!!!)

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
@LM,

The problems in the Mideast is very complex. I have conducted some basic analysis and found out that, the violence from Mideast to Afghanistan to west Africa, can find it root and cause in the city of Jerusalem, namely in the old city.. Aqsa Mosque and the believed to be Solomon's Temple beneath it. Astonishingly, no party of the Israel/ Palestine conflict would face this subject or even mention it, while it is the core problem. All these negotiations and agreements are going no where because the parties to it are not addressing this core issue.
My suggestion to solve the problem will concentrate on this issue, and I would suggest that a two-level structure be built on the site.. the upper level (should be a little higher than present level, for Muslims, and the lower-level for Jews to re-build the Temple.. with either party has the right to worship in both levels if they wish without discrimination.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
All I know is that I started to hear about struggles in the Middle East ever since I was in mommy's tummy and I am several decades old.

What I can not stand is hypocrisy.

I think those beheadings are vile and abominable (I have not seen them). But I KNOW that USA air attacks have always produced civilian casualties, including women and children. This does not arouse horror in people.

Some dictators have been justly condemned by the international courts for "crimes against humanity": Nagasaki and Hiroshima have produced millions of dead civilians and not only instantly, even for decades and perhaps centuries.

Despite all this, the United States feel the right/duty to "export Democracy".

I conclude by saying that DEMOcracy has never existed: we, the people, do not have a minimum of power.

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In a world governed by intelligence agencies of nations, it is hard to say who's doing what.

You are right in saying that today there is no democracy in any part of the world, no human rights either.
Just look at the Security Council of the (United) Nations, it consists of 15 members.. if 14 said yes but only
one member said no then any resolution is blocked. one nation from the privileged 5 can block any resolution
even if it is for the benefit of humanity. So the summit of the international system is practicing dictatorship in the
open.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the problem with the "numbers and letters" app is that it is based on a TV format.

if there is still someone owning the rights of it they can demand to take down the ones that were not supported by themselves.

In such cases you could contact the RAI or something and ask them if it's fine to make an app like that.
If you get a positive answer you're safe, if negative or no reply at all it's worth the risk but might lead in yet another account deletion if they find out :)

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
yeah well, that's life I guess.

big ones have marketing budget to attract their "customers" so once they go beyond your amount of installs your app starts to vanish in cyberspace.

sorex

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I don't see why that would make a difference if it is not a high load multiplayer game.

Look at some solitaire game from a "pro" company.

When it doesn't have a "play against someone else" option it might have an option to get a shuffle that has been solved already.
That's just a fetch of a bunch of values which would work fine on any (free) hosting server even when the app has a lot of players.

It all depends on what you/your_app wants to do.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You need to have a USP, if you can give a reason why your App is better than others which are similar then you can do well.

Over the years we've had various competitors, some have come and gone and others have approached it from a different angle. Some are more popular than others. Our initial idea was one which would benefit us and then we just expanded and improved on it. Unfortunately if you want to succeed it will take some time and effort, but if it's decent and well received it can do quite well.

eps

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Not really, this is supposed to be a thread about wasted effort, but ultimately it depends on why you've expended the effort...

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How many years there is this site? At least 7.

Can you imagine how many apps Erel could create in seven years, thanks to his capacity and his speed?

At least once a month, so at least 84.

If you could really earn $300/day, as someone wrote in that thread, Erel would have earned tens of millions of dollars.

With approximately 60,000 members (only a part of them have paid) he has earned much less. Very much.

I think we all agree that Erel is very smart, right?

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting thread.

The big companies NEED big income to survive so wouldn`t be interested in smaller, less paying apps. But its these apps that will provide success for us individual developers. Its about scale.

Take for example, Minecraft, which has just been bought by Microsoft for $2.5 billion. That is a MASSIVE success, if we`re gauging success by the amount of money earned, and if I were Notch, I`d be ecstatically happy - but would MS buy any of my apps that are worth an almost infinitely tiny fraction of that? No of course not, its less than the value of dust to them. But I can collect all of my dust and consider that successful for me because I only need a infinitely tiny fraction of what Microsoft etc needs.

If you don`t earn an amount that catches their attention, they should leave you alone.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Interesting thread.

The big companies NEED big income to survive so wouldn`t be interested in smaller, less paying apps. But its these apps that will provide success for us individual developers. Its about scale.

Take for example, Minecraft, which has just been bought by Microsoft for $2.5 billion. That is a MASSIVE success, if we`re gauging success by the amount of money earned, and if I were Notch, I`d be ecstatically happy - but would MS buy any of my apps that are worth an almost infinitely tiny fraction of that? No of course not, its less than the value of dust to them. But I can collect all of my dust and consider that successful for me because I only need a infinitely tiny fraction of what Microsoft etc needs.

If you don`t earn an amount that catches their attention, they should leave you alone.

MAYBE a big company "should leave you alone", not a medium or a small one.

MikeH

Licensed User
Longtime User
MAYBE a big company "should leave you alone", not a medium or a small one.

Well, relatively speaking, they`re all big companies because they`re all bigger than each of us. Think about scale. We only need smaller success, so we aim for a level that is too small for the big companies to be interested.