Wish Template management

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
There is the possibility to have a kind of template management within the B4A IDE in the next releases ?

For "Template management" I mean a possibility to create a template in order to use it as a bulding block for new apps.

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Can you provide more information / example about this request?

Well, nothing special. A "Template manager", just a dedicated file manager, within the IDE.

Your (and our) B4A already has some template, right? When you insert a module, it is not a blank sheet.

For example, I use a lot the "# Region"; if I could, I would save them and when I insert a new module, I would get a complete skeleton of these.

Or a snippet manager, like Uncle Visual Studio.

But it is not an urgent request, of course.

Is much more important the rapid debugger that you very well placed. (ah, the exceptions ...)

Excellent work!

P.S. Are we programmers? So we can also develop a sw outside the IDE, to get the above, friends. We are too lazy and spoiled ;)

Last edited:

luke2012

Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm thinking about the Google building Blocks page :

http://developer.android.com/design/building-blocks/tabs.html

When I start a new project I wish choose between some app gui style.
For example if I want implement a PhoneBook App I can choose :

File -> New Project -> PhoneBook Template

Phone book template have a interface like this :

http://developer.android.com/design/media/action_bar_pattern_considerations.png

So I have three tabs on top a listview in the middle and a action bar in the bottom predefined in the designer / code.
This concept is applicable to other app patterns.

Do you think to plan it ?

Regards

Eric H

Licensed User
Longtime User
I think a 'save as template' option would be sufficient for me, with a 'new from template' or 'open template' option. I think it could be handled open opening the IDE also, similar to the way it is in other IDE's: "New default application" or "new XYZ application" or 'New from-template application', or something similar. As to not change the current flow of being to open the IDE and just go right to work, you could just add this to the FILE menu instead of having a splash/welcome screen, that way it doesn't slow down users who do not want to use it.

Also, though I understand your answers to the many requests for a 'save as' option, this could be a justifiable reason to have a 'save as' feature... but maybe only for the purpose of creating boiler plates for future use.

Eric