Android Question Problem with the new B4A-Bridge Connected device name in B4A 11.0

toby

Licensed User
Longtime User
The device name shown is actually the device's model #, which is okay as long as each device you use is different. However I have 4 identical Samsung phones with model # "SM-A115W" and connecting to any of them will show the same "samsung SM-A115W" as the connected device.

I'm wondering whether the editable phone name can be the connected device name or part of it.
connectedDeviceName.png
aboutPhone.jpg

Last edited:

toby

Licensed User
Longtime User
Even for people who don't have two or more phones with same model, being able to name your connected device is a very nice feature. For example, for a connected phone name, "tester1" is much more user friendly than "samsung SM-A115W"

Upvote 0

toby

Licensed User
Longtime User
Would the following work?
1. Allow user to assign an optional alias in B4A-bridge app as shown in the attached image, beside the IP address
2. In IDE, show the alias if it exists, otherwise show the model #.

Attachments

• alias@b4a-brige.jpg
    alias@b4a-brige.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 94
Upvote 0

MikeSW17

Licensed User
Longtime User
If the device name isn't available from Android OS, couldn't b4A Bridge App have an input field for the user to enter a descriptive name (and store than for future runs)?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

toby

Licensed User
Longtime User
As suggested in post #4, in my case, what I really want is not the device name, but being able to give an optional alias to the connected device in B4A-bridge app which passes it to IDE, if it exists.

Upvote 0