A straw in the wind?

berndgoedecke

Licensed User
Longtime User
Eclipse

Hello Andrew,
what do you think? Isn't it better to learn Java and use Eclipse?
All functions of the Android API are avaliable in the moment they are created and it seems to be easy.
In my opinion there is not much place for a Basic in Androids market.

Best regards

bernd goedecke

PS:I would have found it better if B4PPC would also further developed for the desktop yet.

Upvote 0

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4X:
PS:I would have found it better if B4PPC would also further developed for the desktop yet.

YES! I like that B4PPC would be more suited to Desktop Apps!

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Isn't it better to learn Java and use Eclipse?
And also learn the Android environment which is not trivial and at times a little strange.

Basic4Android is not aimed at experienced programmers who can just pick up a new language and platform. Like Basic4ppc it is aimed at the less professional market of those who want to write their own apps but don't have the experience or training (or inclination) to use a full-blown professional development environment.

I have also mentioned this to Erel in the past. Throwing your original comment back to you - Isn't it better to learn C# (or VB) and use the free Visual Studio Express IDE? C# is almost identical to Java and Windows Forms are easier to use than the Android GUI so why have Basic4ppc on the desktop?

Upvote 0

Amalkotey

Licensed User
Longtime User
@BPak:

So for the Windows developer I've been years on Delphi - Obejct Pascal.

@berndgoedecke:

I'm SCJP since 2008 and am still not perfect. Too many classes and too little documentation. With Java I only write when there are no other possibilities. Unfortunately, there is no native development system for Android

regards

Amalkotey

Upvote 0

BPak

Licensed User
Longtime User
So for the Windows developer I've been years on Delphi - Obejct Pascal.

Yes, I have Borland C++Builder for over 12 years and developed top apps.

B4PPC is excellent. Low overhead and plenty of libraries to develop with. Simple, easy Basic to learn.

I have also mentioned this to Erel in the past. Throwing your original comment back to you - Isn't it better to learn C# (or VB) and use the free Visual Studio Express IDE? C# is almost identical to Java and Windows Forms are easier to use than the Android GUI so why have Basic4ppc on the desktop?

Learning C# is much more than learning B4PPC. I have SharpDevelop and currently working through it. Yes it is a good language and suited to the Desktop! But would rather stick with B4PPC personally.
:sign0089:

Upvote 0