B4A IDE not very responsive??

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Probably not. If you see slowdowns every 10 minutes then it is related to the autobackup. This will happen with large projects.
Ok thanks erel. But the auto backup is disabled. What could also be the reason ?

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
What could also be the reason ?
Hmm,
If you have 2 screens, I would have resource manager in the corner of the lesser used screen. When slowing down happens again whilst you're coding, quickly look at resource manager to 100% verify that it is intact B4A that is slowing down and not another program taking up 100% of the system resources thus making it appears that it's B4A showing down when it might not be.

It can easily be another resource on your system suddenly using lots of resources, this will slow down other packages including any B4X IDE.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
There isn't enough information here...

When exactly is it slow? All the time? When you type? After you work for several hours?

Have you tried to restart the PC?
it happens maybe after 30m of work.
restarting the pc will allow to work normally.
it is very noticeable when typing text. there starts to be a delay when typing.
but also scrolling in the IDE is slower. i will check the RAM consume when it happens and post it.

Daestrum

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(Thinking out loud) Maybe it's the sheer number of source files in your project. Could you not turn some into libraries and use them that way ?

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
3 screens

24", 22",34"
in one is the designer, 1 ide, and the other emulator + background music/video + file explorer and some other apps.
i run around 6 apps simultaneously/
Are you using an onboard graphics card or an external one?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are you using an onboard graphics card or an external one?
External video card quadro p2000 with 4x DisplayPort 1.4a.
i also heard that it could be an issue if you use multiple screens.
i put all screen to the same hrz rate. the cables are displayport to hdmi or displayport to dvi since the monitors have no display port input.
could that be the porblem?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
(Thinking out loud) Maybe it's the sheer number of source files in your project. Could you not turn some into libraries and use them that way ?
i had no idea that this effects the performance. i indeed have many classes and also use external JAR file where run functions using Java Object.

Peter Simpson

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
3 screens

24", 22",34"
in one is the designer, 1 ide, and the other emulator + background music/video + file explorer and some other apps.
i run around 6 apps simultaneously/
I refer back to my previous comment then, start a resource manager (or just use task manager as that's already built into Windows) and when you're having the issue, look at what's taking up all the CPU resources.

Filippo

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I remember that I had such performance problems because Windows was always checking for updates in the background. The system used almost 100% resources and I could no longer work properly.
Maybe this is the same problem for you?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I remember that I had such performance problems because Windows was always checking for updates in the background. The system used almost 100% resources and I could no longer work properly.
Maybe this is the same problem for you?
actually, windows auto update is turned on. i will turn it off when i get home.
thanks

b4x-de

Licensed User
Longtime User
I have the same problems here on Win 11, Surface Pro 7. While typing it slows down. I my case it is not related to Windows updates or missing restart. It seems not related to other system activities, because the resouce manager shows only low CPU and disk usage. I think it could be related to auto completions and especially to the new feature where code snippets are inserted. I noticed it in large projects.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
How did you get on with your issues @ilan ?
so, i did some stuff and i will name some.

- uninstall norton360 (even though i had more then 120days left to use the paid version)
- updated all drivers
- installed Avira and let it optimize the pc, clean all junk files and update all drivers
- disabled Auto Backup + Auto Save
- installed Visual Studio (so it will install all the latest NET Frameworks, i thought it can help since b4x is coded in Dot.NET)

and i can tell that since yesterday i had no issues. yesterday 4-5 hours straight work + today 4 hours straight work
i cannot tell what exactly did the trick but i bet on "Uninstalled Norton 360" and disabled Auto Backup 🤷‍♂️