B4i (iOS) - Updates thread

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
thanx, there was a discount for students 15% so it cost me 2762 shekel = 754$ (586 euro)
but it runs really smooth so i guess it will be enough for b4i

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations Ilan,
I found a MacBook for about $150 (used) will go ahead and buy it.. hope it will run b4i.

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
You could always go the Hackintosh route ;)

I may plan on doing that with a System76 Ratel Performance. It's completely upgradable too.

socialnetis

Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations Ilan,
I found a MacBook for about $150 (used) will go ahead and buy it.. hope it will run b4i.
Make sure that it runs at least Mavericks 10.9.x to support compilation to iOS 8!

You could always go the Hackintosh route
I'm not very happy with this solution, but I think that I will go this way until I get enough money to buy any Mac (probably the mini).
In Argentina the Mac Mini cost about $1500, the Macbook Air and pro are about $2500-3000 and the Mac Pro about $4000.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations Ilan,

Thank you :)

As socialnetis allready mentioned check out that it will run osx 10.9.5
Only from this version you can install xcode 6 (to develope for ios8 via swift)

My mac came with 10.9.3 so i upgrade it and install the latest xcode and it runs really good so the mac mini is enough for developing...

Last edited:

aaronk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I am new to Apple / Mac's, just wondering is Mac OS like windows where you have to pay for it, or is it free (like iOS) when they release a new version of there OS? I noticed on the Apple site it says OS X Mavericks, Now available for free from the Mac App Store.

Are they giving away OS X Mavericks free as there new OS X Yosemite is about to be released?
If Apple charge for there OS, how much is it to update to the new OS when it comes out ?

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
yes you can upgrade it for free (i don't know from which operating system but mien was for free 10.9.3 -> 10.9.5)

as i know the upgrade to Yosemite will be also for free but i am not sure

read this: http://www.computerworld.com/article/2685324/apple-delivers-final-non-security-mavericks-update.html

... Mavericks' successor, OS X 10.10 (aka Yosemite), will launch Oct. 21. The free upgrade can be applied not only to all Mavericks Macs, but also most of those running Mountain Lion and Lion. ...

Last edited:

jo1234

Licensed User
Longtime User
That is so exciting! I'm following this thread since the start and can't wait to get my hands in B4i. I already got me a new iPhone to get used to the iOS UI.

I hope the first version will already include the barcode scanner (crucial) and be compatible with OS-independent libraries like AHLocale and Encryption.

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations for the new Mac Ilan!

If things will go as I expect them to go then the first beta will be released in a few weeks.

You can prepare your Mac by installing Xcode 6 (or 5).

Thank you erel :)
I have allready installed xcode 6 and am prepared for b4i, great to hear it will be soon available...

Now i can also use my b4j apps on my mac, really great...

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Congratulations for the new Mac Ilan!

If things will go as I expect them to go then the first beta will be released in a few weeks.

You can prepare your Mac by installing Xcode 6 (or 5).
Can the beta be downloaded for us to test ?

tuhatinhvn

Licensed User
Longtime User
any one try to learn new language (same basic) is swift of apple?

Is it easy , or i should start with object -C??

ilan

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
wow thats great erel, will there be also an Admob lib? (we wanna make some $ from our apps ;) )

LWGShane

Licensed User
Longtime User
B4i documentation page: http://www.b4x.com/b4i/documentation.html

Most of the documentation is not yet ready. However you can still see what is supported for now.

Many more libraries will come after the release...

Damn. I'm impressed!

That's more than what v1 of Xojo iOS will have. It's amazing how you (a one man studio) are able to beat a corporation with multiple programmers.

I would like to suggest something for the website: Could you possibly make the website's nav-bar and header image responsive? (You can still zoom out when browsing the forum on a smartphone.)

Last edited:

Beja

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
In the beginning there was nothing, then Erel created B4i.

About me, this is the absolute beginning to touch these i things. Have no prior experience with any Apple product before, ever.. so I may need to learn how to operate Apple Mac first. Maybe shame but it's the truth.