Android Question Bluetooth trackers?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I'm new to this having never used the BLE library or these trackers before.

Has anybody used these cheap trackers that are all over eBay, in particular in sounding their alarm from a B4A app?

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
I'm new to this
I must have you mixed up with another agraham, who seemed to have done everything.✌

Has anybody used these cheap trackers that are all over eBay, in particular in sounding their alarm from a B4A app?
1595589356954.png

I may have experimented with them a bit. 🥳 But I was doing it from a read-the-button perspective, not the alarm perspective. They were easy enough to figure out. I was massively disappointed to discover that the button state wasn't part of the advertising broadcast, and that you actually had to connect to the devices to properly read the button. Most of them you could read by inference because when the button was pressed, there would be a flurry of broadcasts.

There is an app called nRF Connect, that lets you connect to BLE devices and explore their attributes/characteristics.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
When I use nRF Connect here it shows up in the scan list as ITAG (but I think some varieties don't):

1595590552945.png

and when I connect to it, we can see a characteristic (data element) that might be what you're looking for:

1595590659063.png

and when I write to that characteristic, sure enough, the thing beeps (and beeps, and beeps, and... hmm, no timeout... that seems battery unfriendly)

1595590833698.png

To do the same from a B4A BLE2 program should be no problem. 🍻

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
the thing beeps (and beeps, and beeps, and... hmm, no timeout... that seems battery unfriendly)
Many thanks. That's exactly what I want (for a drone locator). I don't even need to write the app if nRF Connect can do it :)

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
for a drone locator
Range might be an issue. One of my early trial applications was as a feline locator, but unfortunately those dang cats go more than 50 metres. But if you know *roughly* where the drone went down, you could use BLE to hunt it down by circling the area and listening for the advertising broadcasts, which are emitted once per second.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Uh, maybe that 50 metres depends on the phone and/or the brand of iTag. I just tried this one outside, line-of-sight, and at 18 metres it was -91 dB and usable (I could activate the beep) but at 24 metres it disappeared off the scanner. I put a new battery in it (measured 3.1 V) but same deal.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Depending on the situation, it might be an option to make it beep all the time? Presumably the battery in the tracker would last longer than the battery in the drone?

Upvote 0

DonManfred

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Presumably the battery in the tracker would last longer than the battery in the drone?
Using such Tracker on a flying Drone you´ll fast get out of reach the BT Signal....

I guess it´s more like a "in which box i did put the drone into?"... Open app, send beep signal... Beeep. The Drone itself may be off at this time.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Using such Tracker on a flying Drone you´ll fast get out of reach the BT Signal
The idea is that you know roughly where it went down but small drones are very difficult to see in long grass or trees! and you want to avoid treading on it. So once your phone can see the tracker you activate the alarm. Also I see that nRF Connect appears to be able to graph the the RSSSI which might also help in seeing whether you are moving in the right direction.

Here an app made in B4A:
Thanks, I'll take a look at that.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
Also I see that nRF Connect appears to be able to graph the the RSSI
Lol I discovered that out on the street tonight too, but it was unusable because turns out my neighbors are leaking Bluetooth all over the place. My phone nearly blew up.
which might also help in seeing whether you are moving in the right direction.
👍 The B4A BLE2 library scan function returns the RSSI too, without having to connect to the device.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
The B4A BLE2 library scan function returns the RSSI too, without having to connect to the device.
I saw that but it needs WORK to do it, the nRF Connect app seems to have everything I need already implemented so no need to reinvent the wheel for what will only be occasional (perhaps never!) use. Just waiting for the delivery of an iTag now!

Upvote 0