Design for various devices

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
I was reading the posts and one of them (dynamic layout) caught my eye and precipitated this question.

I used the emulator and my 7" tablet to create my app. The emulator was set for 320x480 throughout. The app fits good on my tablet and I believe on a phone but I don't have one available currently to check it. I believe several have downloaded my evaluation version and I haven't had any feedback so I really don't know. Since the 320x480 seems to satisfy a 7" tablet and a phone, is the 480x800 for a 10" tablet? Should I do anything with my application for that size?

Jim

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
This theme has been widely discussed here...
The best bet is to design for a "normal" device, and then add the aditional layout variants in the designer...When setting in code the views dimensions or positions, use the dpi keyword, so thesetings are not absolut, but relative to the normal layout...

Upvote 0

jschuchert

Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks, cableguy. Would you elaborate just a little more on that? Say a user said that parts of the layout are hidden on his phone, regardless of the orientation. Can that be corrected? Not sure what you mean by "and then add the aditional layout variants in the designer". Sorry for not understanding.

Jim

Upvote 0