Android Question how secure is firebase?

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

I'm not familiar with firebase at all
there's an app i downloaded from play store and it supposed to store sensitive data
the developer says it is most secure as it uses firebase
the app requires me to provide my email and password and there is no google authentication popup
so as far as i get it the app (and developer) have now full access to my data including emails
am i right or wrong?
thanks

Alexander Stolte

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Firebase is as secure as your security policies are.

But sensitive data should be encrypted in the database and not in plain text, but the developer is responsible for encrypting this in a trigger when creating the dataset, for example.

Upvote 0

Andrew (Digitwell)

Licensed User
Longtime User
hi

he app requires me to provide my email and password and there is no google authentication popup
so as far as i get it the app (and developer) have now full access to my data including emails
am i right or wrong?
thanks
If you provided your email accounts password then yes, the developer would have access to your emails, but you should not provide the provide the same password to multiple systems.

Upvote 0

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
thanks guys
as i was thinking - this is NOT a secured app and it has the ability to access my emails and sensitive data
i dropped it...

Upvote 0

Zeev Goldstein

Licensed User
Longtime User
basically no app is secured or trusted in that matter as even if it stores data on google drive still the sensitive data is exposed to the app hence to the developer as he can grab it from data entry or even storage
so if he's a nice guy he wont use the opportunity to collect and store cc details but i don't know him...
anyways - these kind of apps are very dangerous

Upvote 0