B4R Question Hypothetical - Bluetooth remote?

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi, I use b4A/J and have some Arduino clones but they have never been opened!

I have twin boys aged 8 who are autistic, they don't speak, or listen really! but they can use a tablet fine!! but things like PC's, TV's they don't get the idea that a remote or mouse is what's controlling it, or why if that makes sense.

So the programming question is...

a) can Arduino be used as a Bluetooth keyboard? with say arcade buttons as keys?

b) can B4R handle it? or do I need to learn something else? (I just wont.... lol)

c) failing that, has anyone seen a Bluetooth keyboard that can be easily soldered to.... :cool: (My preferred option)

Ideally arcade buttons or similar in say a coffee table, paired to the firestick via Bluetooth would maybe encourage them to press them and hopefully it clicks the brain!?!

I have looked at soldering to an actual firestick remote but it looks very fiddly...

Thanks...

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
This looks promising thanks!

It does. But I've been thinking about it overnight: before you go too far down the track, it'd be worthwhile checking that the receiving device recognizes a keyboard over BLE. Bluetooth Low Energy is different to the old original Bluetooth Classic.

Upvote 0

aidymp

Licensed User
Longtime User
It does. But I've been thinking about it overnight: before you go too far down the track, it'd be worthwhile checking that the receiving device recognizes a keyboard over BLE. Bluetooth Low Energy is different to the old original Bluetooth Classic.

I believe the Amazon firestick supports BLE. I'm still looking at the actual remote and solder option, but will keep this in mind.

Upvote 0

emexes

Expert
Licensed User
still looking at the actual remote and solder option

Lol. Last century - in the days before mobile phones had computer links, and I think even before USB was around - I had a home-made alarm system, and when I added "send alarm message by sms" I actually had a real phone set up ready to send the message, with a car door lock solenoid that would physically press the Send button.

About six months later, Vodafone introduced modem dial-in to send SMS - 0414100200 I think - and that worked a treat, except for the worry that the house was 100 metres back from the road and the telephone cable could easily be cut.

Worked, though. Alarm 1, burglar 0.

Upvote 0