B4J Question I am a bit annoyed...

JackKirk

Licensed User
Longtime User
I very recently posted this:

https://www.b4x.com/android/forum/t...o-use-setmaxtextmessagesize.45644/post-983935

Which as the post says, found an earlier post in the same thread did not/no longer worked.

The thread has now been closed after DonManfred added a comment.

I would like to point out that the post I made (and the subsequent solution) was totally relevant to anyone who came across the thread as I did - searching for a solution which the existing thread did not provide.

If we mindlessly follow the edict of "always start a new thread", or similar, anyone subsequently with the same problem may or may not find the new thread.

While I concur that threads generally should not have endless posts I think this is a good example for some flexibility - and certainly not the almost unthinking sledgehammer response it elicited.

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
The general rule of thumb is that posting in old question threads is a bad idea.
I now read the thread from the beginning and I don't think that it was worth bumping it to the front. Most readers will see the first few posts, which are not relevant to jServer 4, and will waste time with the wrong solution.
It turned into a thread that starts with jServer 3 and ends with jServer 4 (without any explanation about it). I don't think that it is too helpful.

But more importantly, don't be too annoyed about such things. I see a question thread from 2014 that became active and I close it. It is never personal and I may be mistaken.

Upvote 0

Cableguy

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I guess the main annoyance is that, older (read very old) threads, created before the Forum Update that allowed to mark solutions, are harder to find...
I know most of them will no longer be of any real use, as the framebase has evolved, bust it can lead to a solution, and not really knowing which one it was, kinda sucks

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
1711981994782.png

ChatGPT

Yes, in XenForo you can set up a cron job (scheduled job) to automatically close threads that were opened a certain number of years ago. This can be done using the "Thread Auto Close" feature or by using a specific add-on designed for this feature.

Here's how you can do this in XenForo using the Thread Auto Close feature:

1. Log in to the XenForo administration area.
  2. Navigate to "Options" in the admin menu.
  3. Select "Threads, Discussions and Conversations".
  4. Scroll until you find the setting for "Auto Close Threads After x Days."
  5. Set the desired number of days. For example, if you want to automatically close threads that were opened 3 years ago, you would set this value to the number of days in three years (approximately 1095 days).
However, if this functionality is not available in the basic XenForo settings, you can search for an add-on specially designed for this purpose in the XenForo Resource Manager or in the XenForo community forums. There may be an add-on that provides more flexibility and configuration options for automatically closing threads based on custom criteria.

Always remember to make a full backup of your forum before making major changes like this, to avoid data loss or unexpected problems.

Upvote 0

LucaMs

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
View attachment 152376

ChatGPT

Yes, in XenForo you can set up a cron job (scheduled job) to automatically close threads that were opened a certain number of years ago. This can be done using the "Thread Auto Close" feature or by using a specific add-on designed for this feature.

Here's how you can do this in XenForo using the Thread Auto Close feature:

1. Log in to the XenForo administration area.
  2. Navigate to "Options" in the admin menu.
  3. Select "Threads, Discussions and Conversations".
  4. Scroll until you find the setting for "Auto Close Threads After x Days."
  5. Set the desired number of days. For example, if you want to automatically close threads that were opened 3 years ago, you would set this value to the number of days in three years (approximately 1095 days).
However, if this functionality is not available in the basic XenForo settings, you can search for an add-on specially designed for this purpose in the XenForo Resource Manager or in the XenForo community forums. There may be an add-on that provides more flexibility and configuration options for automatically closing threads based on custom criteria.

Always remember to make a full backup of your forum before making major changes like this, to avoid data loss or unexpected problems.

Forget it; it would also close the Italian "Chiacchiericci" thread, which we use as the "Chit Chat" 😄

Upvote 0

Magma

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Generally... I think that the message "telling that is OLD" sometimes detterent you to post... but... sometimes there are threads that can't stop them get bigger even if they are too old...

for example: like.. LucaMs - Flowers (not remember what is the name - but i love it) - Thread - this is a non stop thread... :)

and sometimes for example there are threads have a "continue" into years - may be a library with updates or a class / code snippet make it better...

No need to "annoyed" but also not "so absolute" and tough...
In some years I am sure will need a B4X Assistant (AI) to search over this huge Database of knowledge (b4x.com)

Upvote 0