Other [INFO] Moving to SDK 34 on the Playstore

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello All

Anyone who is feeling under pressure to upgrade to 34 as per Google Playstore requirments, you can get an extention (instant) to November 1st 2024. I have done this already, I suggest you all do the same. It is done through the play console.

Regards

John.

Last edited:

Chris2

Licensed User
Longtime User
My extension was granted up to 1st November only, so I guess the extension length is variable (possibly depending on the reason you select when asking for the extension.

If I'm reading the notice correctly, targetting API 34 is required only for app updates & new apps. You do not have to update any existing apps that already target 33 to target 34 until you want to submit an update (from https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/11926878):

Target API level requirements for Google Play apps​

Starting August 31 2024:
  • New apps and app updates must target Android 14 (API level 34) to be submitted to Google Play (except for Wear OS and Android TV apps, which must target Android 13 or higher).
  • Existing apps must target Android 13 (API level 33) or higher to remain available to new users on devices running Android OS higher than your app’s target API level. Apps that target Android 12 (API level 31) or lower ( Android 10 or lower for Wear OS and Android 11 or lower for TV OS), will only be available on devices running Android OS that are the same or lower than your apps’ target API level.
You will be able to request an extension to November 1, 2024 if you need more time to update your app. You'll be able to access your app's extension forms in Play Console later this year.

Upvote 0

Jmu5667

Licensed User
Longtime User
My extension was granted up to 1st November only, so I guess the extension length is variable (possibly depending on the reason you select when asking for the extension.

If I'm reading the notice correctly, targetting API 34 is required only for app updates & new apps. You do not have to update any existing apps that already target 33 to target 34 until you want to submit an update (from https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/11926878):
You are correct, its the 1st of November for everyone, I will correct this.

Upvote 0

virpalacios

Licensed User
Longtime User
I already have my app in Api 33 level, so I just follow Erel's advise, just set Target Version to 34. It worked fine, the app got update in playstore.
Best Regards

Upvote 0