Is this a Listview in screenshot?

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
It looks like a listview but if so then I have a couple of questions.

How did the author get 3 lines of text?
How did he get a large text item where the bitmap would normally go?

Attachments

• clip1.jpg
    clip1.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 368

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
He has specified a ListAdaptor to display his data that way. Basic4android comes with three pre-specified ListAdaptor layouts but you can't, at the moment anyway, define your own.

The Listview tutorial says...
The ListView has three "models" which are stored under:
- SingleLineLayout
- TwoLinesLayout
- TwoLinesAndBitmap

Are ListAdaptors and "models" the same thing?

Is there a timeline for adding the ability to define our own ListAdaptors?

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Are ListAdaptors and "models" the same thing?
Those three layouts are the three ListAdaptors.
Is there a timeline for adding the ability to define our own ListAdaptors?
That's up to Erel. Why not request it on the wishlist thread?

Upvote 0

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
Those three layouts are the three ListAdaptors.

Perhaps the Listview tutorial should include that terminology instead of "models" or at least define ListAdaptor=Model. I searched all the forums for a definition of "ListAdaptor" and the term only showed up in this thread.

That's up to Erel. Why not request it on the wishlist thread?

I will. Thanks for your answers.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Perhaps the Listview tutorial should include that terminology instead of "models"
You don't need to know about ListAdaptors to use Basic4android. Basic4android exposes a deliberately simplified carefully considered subset of the programming environment for Android and so avoids the need for users to know about low-level details like that.

You could always download Eclipse and write your own library of custom ListAdaptors for ListView if you really need something different. I might have a play with that if I get bored!

Upvote 0

Erel

B4X founder
Staff member
Licensed User
Longtime User
Upvote 0

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
The native ListView is the most error prone and complicated view in Android. On the other hand, when set correctly, it is very powerful and with excellent performance.

There will be more "models" available in the future based on users requests.
For small to medium size lists you can use ScrollView instead of a ListView and it can be customized as needed. See this example: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/7221-list-two-columns-checkbox.html

The model I would like to see available is the one in the screenshot I attached. If you are keeping a list of model requests then please add that one.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
The native ListView is the most error prone and complicated view in Android. On the other hand, when set correctly, it is very powerful and with excellent performance.

There will be more "models" available in the future based on users requests.
For small to medium size lists you can use ScrollView instead of a ListView and it can be customized as needed. See this example: http://www.b4x.com/forum/basic4android-getting-started-tutorials/7221-list-two-columns-checkbox.html

Hi Erel,

Any chance of custom Listview models in next release?

Upvote 0

CidTek

Licensed User
Longtime User
There are plans to add more models. Creating a completely customized model is currently not possible.

I hope a separate text region with its own font attributes where the bitmap normally sits is one of them. See the thumbnail at the beginning of the thread. Plus a three row option would be cool.

Upvote 0