push info to tablet

mcorbeel

Licensed User
Longtime User
I want to use a tablet for showing information that comes from a central db. I could do this with a webpage or even a webservice, but if data has changed this will not reflect immediate changes on the tablet, because the tablet will check the db on scheduled times. Another disadvantage is that there will be network traffic even if no data has changed. So I was hoping there is a way to either push info to the tablet, or a way to "poke" it and say "hey tablet, there is a change in info, go get it and display it, please...". Can this be done? What is best practice here?
Thanks for any reply!

mcorbeel

Licensed User
Longtime User
1 question though: the webservice is a php script ... but my webserver is a MS only server... so... Is there a webservice for ASP.NET? Is this code available somewhere?

Upvote 0

mcorbeel

Licensed User
Longtime User
In the meanwhile I discoverd that for my app it will be beter to use sockets. Since the tablets will be on the local network, I think it's better to have a direct communication instead of going through the internet, no?

Upvote 0

wl

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I'm currently working on a MS SQL to android push app. It is optimized in using as less data as possible. It works on Sql Express versions and up.

Might still take a few weeks to complete though.

Wim

Upvote 0