relocating screen elements in Designer

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there any way to relocate more than one element on the screen at the time. For example I have several text fields lied out on the Panel and which I would want to move down or up, along with some buttons... ? Any options do display a grid ?

Arthur

Last edited:

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
Is there any way to relocate more than one element on the screen at the time. For example I have several text fields lied out on the Panel and which I would want to move down or up, along with some buttons... ? Any options do display a grid ?

B4A does not allow selecting multiple elements (called "Views" in B4A). If you anticipate needing to move a group of Views, you would need to put them into a container such as Panel.

B4A does not have a Grid View. You can create a grid by putting Label and/or EditText Views onto a Panel, such as the one below where the "grid lines" are just spaces left between the Labels placed on a dark Panel.

ScoreGrid.jpg

If you search for "grid", you can find alternatives and other information in threads such as the one below:
http://www.b4x.com/forum/bugs-wishlist/8600-wish-gridview.html

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
By using term GRID I ment aliging grid which in many screen designers is displayed as dots (or sometimes lines). Is there any SnapToGrid type function to manipulate those views easily ?

What is the purpose of changing GRID measure in Designer then ?

As far as Placing elements (views - arhghr - this term is confusing), I already have a Panel and some 'views' laid out on the top of it, but when I move a Panel the buttons, and fields don't move at all.

Art

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nfordbscndrd

Licensed User
Longtime User
By using term GRID I ment aliging grid which in many screen designers is displayed as dots (or sometimes lines). Is there any SnapToGrid type function to manipulate those views easily ?

Yes. In Designer, the default snap-to-grid setting is 10. To change it, click on Tools and Change Grid. There is no option for displaying the grid.

As far as Placing elements (views - arhghr - this term is confusing), I already have a Panel and some 'views' laid out on the top of it, but when I move a Panel the buttons, and fields don't move at all.

In the Properties list in Designer, select each view which you want to belong on a panel and set each view's Parent property to the panel name. You can find this information in the B4a documentation Wiki at http://www.b4x.com/android/wiki/index.php/Designer#Properties_List

I agree that the term "view" takes some getting used to. It's not at all descriptive, but it is an Android term, so B4A has little choice but to use it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

aklisiewicz

Licensed User
Longtime User
OK, I understand,... will check referenced link. Thank you for your time.

Art

Upvote 0