Android Question Running Third-Party Apps in Sequence via FCM on Android in Enterprise Environment

ykucuk

Licensed User
Longtime User
Hello,

I am developing an internal Android application for enterprise use that will not be uploaded to Google Play. The goal is to sequentially call third-party apps at specific intervals, keeping my app in the background.

Here's the scenario:

1. My app is active and in the foreground.
  2. I send an FCM notification to the app containing the package name of a third-party app, and then launch that app using an intent.
  3. After a certain period, I send another FCM notification with a new package name to open a different third-party app.
The issue arises after launching the first third-party app: my app moves to the background, and even though it receives the next FCM notification, it is unable to bring the new app to the foreground. I understand that many actions like this have been restricted for security reasons in recent Android versions (as of 2024), but since this is for internal use, I am hoping there might be a workaround or best practice.

Is there a way for my app to bring itself back to the foreground after receiving an FCM notification or to handle sequential app launching when it’s running in the background? How can I ensure that my app continues to launch third-party apps even when it’s not in the foreground?

Any advice or best practices for handling this use case in an enterprise environment would be greatly appreciated.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…