shell - execute another program with parameters

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
I had a look among available keywords and could not find the shell-command which we used in B4PPC.

This leads me to another question: In Android, is it possible to launch other applications (for instance the browser with an URL) or is this a restricted area of programming which seems to be the case with Windows Phone7?

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
You don't launch other programs in Android but the same effect is achieved by broadcasting "Intents" which are effectively a request for a service. An application that was registered on installation to be able to satisfy that request is started to service the request. Google for "Android intents" to learn more.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thanks. I read about "Android intents". It seems like this code-snippet in Java shoud be able to open a browser with a predefined URI:

B4X:
Intent myIntent = new Intent(Intent.VIEW_ACTION, 
Uri.parse("http://www.google.com")); 

startActivity(i);

Hopefully, Erel will have time later on to implement this.

Upvote 0

agraham

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hopefully, Erel will have time later on to implement this.
There's a whole lot of stuff to come that will expose most areas of the Android system but it will take some time to implement and test so people need to show some patience. It's staggering how much he has achieved already in a relatively short space of time. As you might have guessed I've been privy to several pre-beta releases and seen it grow and improve (and change) at an astonising rate that I could never have equalled.

Upvote 0

moster67

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Well said! I am also very impressed by Eril and his achievement so far. I am sure B4A will evolve, in due time, into a suberb development-product.

I hope you will join in as well - porting some of your fantastic libraries to B4A!

There's a whole lot of stuff to come that will expose most areas of the Android system but it will take some time to implement and test so people need to show some patience. It's staggering how much he has achieved already in a relatively short space of time. As you might have guessed I've been privy to several pre-beta releases and seen it grow and improve (and change) at an astonising rate that I could never have equalled.

Upvote 0

glook

Licensed User
Longtime User
Well said! I am also very impressed by Eril and his achievement so far. I am sure B4A will evolve, in due time, into a suberb development-product.

I hope you will join in as well - porting some of your fantastic libraries to B4A!

I have to totally agree with both comments :sign0188: Amazing work!

Upvote 0

klaus

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Me too, I fully agree with the comments.

The more I 'play' with Basic4Android the more I like it and the more I am convinced that it is going to become an excellent and outstanding programing environment.

I'm afraid :) , that I'll need soon to buy an Android device.

:sign0188: Erel.

Best regards.

Upvote 0