Android Question Stereo files with separate outputs

pernajl

Does anyone know of an Android App that allow me to turn on/off Left or Right Channel when playing a sound file? I have files that are from a cd and they are made without the bass on one side and without the piano on the other for practice.
I want to turn off one of the channels and still have the music come out on both speakers.

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anyone know of an Android App that allow me to turn on/off Left or Right Channel . . .
It does not seem that anyone does. It would be possible, of course, to write such an app, but an easier option might be to process the .mp3 file to duplicate one channel on the other side, producing two files - one for each channel.

Upvote 0

pernajl

Oh, any tips on software to do that? I mostly see people talking about removing voice, not sure if its the same when you want to separate instruments.

Upvote 0

Brian Dean

Licensed User
Longtime User
This is not a subject that I know much about. This forum is for programmers, and I suspect that you are not a programmer yourself - excuse me if I am wrong. You say that your files are from a CD but you do not say what the file format is - I am imagining mp3 because that is the most common. In an mp3 file the music data is stored in groups of four bytes - two for one channel followed by two for the other channel. If one simply (?) rewrote the data by copying one pair of bytes to replace the other pair then the same sound would come from both channels, which is what I think you want. You would finish up with three versions of your music file - the original two track version; one with the left channel repeated on the right channel; one with the reverse.

This is would not be technically difficult for a programmer who has previous experience of working with mp3 files, although it is a little more tricky that I have suggested here because there is more than one mp3 format, and the data is divided into frames which can themselves vary in type, but usually don't.

We will have to see if anyone joins the conversation with a better idea (or more knowledge). People on this forum are very generous and have many skills that they willingly share.

Upvote 0

jkhazraji

Licensed User
Longtime User
Does anyone know of an Android App that allow me to turn on/off Left or Right Channel when playing a sound file? I have files that are from a cd and they are made without the bass on one side and without the piano on the other for practice.
I want to turn off one of the channels and still have the music come out on both speakers.
B4X:
dim mp as mediaPlayer
mp.Initialize("mp")

'To turn left channel on and the right off
mp.setVolume(1.0f, 0.0f)

'To turn left channel off and the right on
mp.setVolume(0.0f, 1.0f)

Upvote 0