Other Time to upgrade..

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

please advice about an opportunity I have these days: upgrading a production server.

Currently it is based on CentOS 7, 64bit (CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core), specifically)
MySql: mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.64-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1
Along with MySql I have a few middle-layer sw built using B4J (mainly they're predecessor of RDC/RDC2), accepting both http and https requests
The Region Project Attributes is generally as follows:
B4X:
#Region Project Attributes 
    #CommandLineArgs:
    #MergeLibraries: True 
    #AdditionalJar: mysql-connector-java-5.1.40-bin.jar
    #AdditionalJar: bcprov-jdk15on-154
    #JavaCompilerPath: 8, C:\Programmi\Java\jdk1.8.0_201\bin\javac.exe
#End Region
As for libraries, I use Jserver3 3.00(since the sw is Java8-based), JSQL 1.61, jOkHttpUtils2 3.00 and a few Internal others (jcore is 9.80)

The good news is that I have the opportunity to deploy a brand new production server (VPS, root access) so my wish is to upgrade most, if not all, the running sw in order to forget about it for a few years more.
What I fear most is incompatibilities or unforeseen problems with such a big change.
CentOS 8/9, MySql 8.0.32, java (11, 14,..?), connector, possibly a paid certificate (no longer relying o Let's Encrypt). BTW, my partners wish to go on Azure but it's acceptable to stay with the currente provider.
So, which versions' combination will work without problems since time zero? Or what I should care of while planning my switching, eventually ammended my code?

I could certainly deploy latest releases then see what happens. But why, if I can count on some very knowledgeable forum members that already are daily experiencing a valid combination of those releases? :)

TIA

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, you suggest to go the full way? CentOS 9, MySql 8, Java 14?
Any suggestion about the proper mysq-connector version to use with such a combination? Same for bcprov.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

teddybear

Licensed User
In my opinion, perhaps it is better to upgrade your production server in steps, first step just upgrading OS.

Upvote 0

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make a server beside the running one and take your time to upgrade with peace of mind. When you feel ready then switch to the new production server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you all.
My plan is exactly what @jahswant suggested: a new server sporting the latest libraries, some good testing and finally a switch over.
The only problem will be that the new server will be built and managed by another company so it will take a bit longer to be ready, but I'm sure we will cooperate well.

Thanks to @OliverA for this tip. One item less to search about..

BTW, it seems that mysql-connector 8.0.32 is the one to download.

So, the new server will be based on the following releases:
- CentOS 9
- MySql 8
- Java 14
- jDBC 8.0.32
- BouncyCastle 1.72

That will buy me some peace of mind for a few years (I hope). :)

Upvote 0