Other Time to upgrade..

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Hi all,

please advice about an opportunity I have these days: upgrading a production server.

Currently it is based on CentOS 7, 64bit (CentOS Linux release 7.7.1908 (Core), specifically)
MySql: mysql Ver 15.1 Distrib 5.5.64-MariaDB, for Linux (x86_64) using readline 5.1
Along with MySql I have a few middle-layer sw built using B4J (mainly they're predecessor of RDC/RDC2), accepting both http and https requests
The Region Project Attributes is generally as follows:
B4X:
#Region Project Attributes 
    #CommandLineArgs:
    #MergeLibraries: True 
    #AdditionalJar: mysql-connector-java-5.1.40-bin.jar
    #AdditionalJar: bcprov-jdk15on-154
    #JavaCompilerPath: 8, C:\Programmi\Java\jdk1.8.0_201\bin\javac.exe
#End Region
As for libraries, I use Jserver3 3.00(since the sw is Java8-based), JSQL 1.61, jOkHttpUtils2 3.00 and a few Internal others (jcore is 9.80)

The good news is that I have the opportunity to deploy a brand new production server (VPS, root access) so my wish is to upgrade most, if not all, the running sw in order to forget about it for a few years more.
What I fear most is incompatibilities or unforeseen problems with such a big change.
CentOS 8/9, MySql 8.0.32, java (11, 14,..?), connector, possibly a paid certificate (no longer relying o Let's Encrypt). BTW, my partners wish to go on Azure but it's acceptable to stay with the currente provider.
So, which versions' combination will work without problems since time zero? Or what I should care of while planning my switching, eventually ammended my code?

I could certainly deploy latest releases then see what happens. But why, if I can count on some very knowledgeable forum members that already are daily experiencing a valid combination of those releases?

TIA

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
So, you suggest to go the full way? CentOS 9, MySql 8, Java 14?
Any suggestion about the proper mysq-connector version to use with such a combination? Same for bcprov.
Thank you.

Upvote 0

teddybear

Licensed User
In my opinion, perhaps it is better to upgrade your production server in steps, first step just upgrading OS.

Upvote 0

jahswant

Licensed User
Longtime User
Make a server beside the running one and take your time to upgrade with peace of mind. When you feel ready then switch to the new production server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

udg

Expert
Licensed User
Longtime User
Thank you all.
My plan is exactly what @jahswant suggested: a new server sporting the latest libraries, some good testing and finally a switch over.
The only problem will be that the new server will be built and managed by another company so it will take a bit longer to be ready, but I'm sure we will cooperate well.

Thanks to @OliverA for this tip. One item less to search about..

BTW, it seems that mysql-connector 8.0.32 is the one to download.

So, the new server will be based on the following releases:
- CentOS 9
- MySql 8
- Java 14
- jDBC 8.0.32
- BouncyCastle 1.72

That will buy me some peace of mind for a few years (I hope).

Upvote 0
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…